Saturday 21 April 2018

Dress Rehearsals, Ripper Wars.

I love horror be it movies or books I just love to be frighten, now when I say horror I don't mean gore a bit of gore is ok but its the trill of the build up of tension that really gets me, that something seen from the corner of your eye or the classic seen from Halloween the one were the camera is focused on Jamie Lee Curtis but out of focus you can see the bad guy getting back to his feet.
Now needless to say that using model figures with still shots on a blog such a scene could never be done, but I think you can build tension & atmosphere, can you be drawn in so that you care enough to route for the side of good or evil ? well going on how people told me I'd have to rescue Carter on the O.W.I The Base post I think maybe you can & I believe that's the key to most stories are characters that people care about, the 3 things combined can  make a good horror :) well that's enough waffling out of me for now, I'll instead let the script writer see if he can create a little atmosphere for what's going on.

In another place & time stands the village of Whitehurst, there was nothing remarkable or outstanding about Whitehurst & the people went about their lives in a peaceful & harmonious way, but about 6 months ago all of that started to change, first it was the glimpses of a strange man roaming in the woods, then the howling heard in the night.
But worst still was to come, the disappearance for loved one's dragged off into the night, who would then be seen a short time later wondering as undead lost souls after dark, now the people of Whitehurst live in fear but the disappearance's keep happening is there to be no end to this nightmare ?
Right what this post is all about is me trying out Ripper Wars which is a Gothic Horror set in Victorian London & has all your classic horror villains from werewolves to Dracula, now I don't have any such models but do have some that can fit into horror if I move the time & setting.
The game is meant to be played at 1K plus points on a 6x3 table but to make things a bit easier I cut the sides down to just over 500pts & set up a 4x4 table.
 Now I have to point out that when playing a game I like to have a book (call me old fashioned) but I got these rules from over on Vagabond's blog which has a link in the blog roll to the side & if you never pay it a visit you really should,( that's another advertisement you'll have to pay for John) a link to the rules are in a comment by Eduardo so my thanks to him.
Anyway where was I, yes trying out the game the idea behind this is I'd like to expand the type of movies I make :) & horror is one of the types I'd like to do, at this point in time however I don't want to invest in more model's as the make up department is busy enough, did I ever mention I don't like painting ?
So after one game how did I find Ripper Wars ? well I've got to try to be fair to the game here & there was somethings I did like as well as some I didn't.
The good, the activation which is done using cards works like this, each unit is deal a playing card at the start of each turn & acts on the card number starting with the joker followed by aces & working you way down to the two, units can go on hold & then act on a lower number is they wish, this I find works well especially for solo play which I should point out the game is not design with solo play in mind.
The units are pre-made up but you can give them some upgrades which is also good, but if you just want to throw a game together quickly you could just put a couple of units for each side together.
There's a terrain table for picking what terrain in on which area of the table which divided in to six parts & each player set up the terrain on his side of the board in the way he thinks will be to his advantage.
 Random events that can happen through out the game, now I know a lot of people don't like this kind of thing but I'm not one of them plus when playing solo I always find it to be good if you don't have complete control over things.

The bad, there is no real indication as to how much terrain you should put in each area & terrain seems to play a bit part as it can slow units down & give cover, with from what I can see the evil side having very little shooting this is very important.
Hard to kill units, now this could be just my crap dice rolling or maybe just the units I used but it did feel like it was hard to kill things, while hero's should be hard to kill I think the other units shouldn't be so hard.
Bennies, these let you do a few different things like rerolls (which I dislike tbh) or if a model is shaken undoing it without needing to roll to do so.
Line of sight & who do I shoot or hit, it might be just me missing something but there doesn't seem to be any indication as to how either works, is it true line of sight ? I think it has to be, but the bigger problem is in shooting & close combat, when a unit shoots do you shoot model by model with each one picking a target ? or do they all just shoot together at one unit, also which models within the unit takes the damage, this is very important as models within a unit can be shaken on a one by one bases & if a shaken model takes damage its removed from play, same for close combat but you could do this on a model by model with the fight between each one that's in base to base.
Final thought's, like I said above I don't want to be to hard on the game as only trying it once is not really enough & some of the faults like who shoots at who are easy to fix, things like units been to hard to kill wouldn't be, I'll most likely try it out once or twice more as I'd like to be able to play a horror game & this feels like it would switch easily to a different setting, Eduardo also put a link to another set of horror rules set in the wild west by two hour wargaming, but as a revival studios uses rules which around this is set I don't want to go down that road.

Now before I go here are some picture's for John (Vagabond) but I'll add the link for anyone else interested :)   

These things are pencil sharpeners but are cheap enough if you order a few together to help with the postage, this wagon I think works very well with 28mm scale, as you can see from the 28mm model I put in the picture. 
 To use the carriage inside need's a bit of work removing the sharpener, but I did that on the car below with out to much problem. 

 This wagon is not as good scale wise & I don't think would work in a western setting but would be ok in some others imo
 The car I think also scales well, but the problem is you won't know what does or doesn't work  untill you buy them unless you've seen someone else use them, so it's a case of pay your money & take your chances :)
 Here's the link to the site.
http://sharpenking.com/

That's a rap for this post as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed :)

14 comments:

  1. Hi Frank thanks for the photos of the pencil sharpener, thats very useful, i think you are right in your assessment of scale.
    I think the way forward is if I send you a list of the items I'm interested in and you buy them and let me know how they scale. How's that for a good idea. :)

    Very interesting thoughts here on horror and i enjoyed reading through them, i can't add much to the debate because i agree with most of what you said, even down to not liking re-rolls.

    The photos are brill, especially the 1st 4 black and white ones, very atmospheric and well cropped. The ghouls advancing in the dark, superb. Greg (The Addict) sent me some he had done using sepia and some ageing process known only to a few arcane mages from the elder lands, that worked well, not for every thing, but select images that might be useful. When i do the western game I'll try and remember to post them so you can see what i mean.

    Good post Frank I enjoyed it.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, glad the pictures help you but can't say I'll run with your idea :)as it wasn't a movie I'd thought I'd try out the black & white pictures, I was happy with the close ups but don't think the long shots worked to well, but that lest I know that now for other stuff.
    PS When will you be sending over the advertisement money ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't you received it yet, I put it on the Wells Fargo Sage myself, I bet it's been held up again. You'll have to make a claim from them at your end.

      Sorry ;)

      I also forgot to thank you for the mention as well so Thank you.

      Delete
  3. A very rich seam of gaming goodness to pick through here Frank :-)
    As with John, I agree entirely with your thoughts on the horror genre and what makes for a good 'yarn', so can't add anything (at least not while I feel this tired!).
    Some nice photo's illustrating the post, and black & white definitely work well for "night scenes" in my opinion :-)
    Thanks very much for the info on the pencil sharpeners, I'll definitely be taking advantage of the link, but would also love to know where you got the 4 legged horned beasties from?? I'd like to get hold of one of those for my own Witchfinder General setting ;-)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Greg,judging from John's comment I believe your a bit of a master when it comes to B/W picture's, the model your asking after is from GW but I'm not sure if they still do them, but if it's just one your looking for I should be able to help you if you can't get any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think John was referring to me as an "expert" as in an "Ex" which is a 'Has Been', and "spurt" which is a drip under pressure!! ;-)
      I do like playing with the free photo editor "Photoscape" though which does all the work for you. Photoshop (and the free emulator "Gimp") are too complicated for me.

      Thanks for the info on the beast - I'll have a search on ebay now I know what I'm looking for. Many thanks also for offering to help me out if I can't find one. Much appreciated and I'll certainly let you know how I get on :-)

      Delete
    2. Success! :-)
      I dunno if it was a case of "cosmic ordering" or pure chance, but I searched for Chaos Hounds and someone had just listed a group of five (assembled, unpainted) as a Buy It Now item.
      At just over a pound apiece, I'm now eagerly awaiting their arrival :-)

      Many thanks again for bringing them to my attention and your kind offer to help me out if I got stuck!

      Delete
    3. Great to hear you got fixed up Greg & at a pound a piece you done well.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a big fan of horror films, like you I find horror in the unknown rather than gore, entails etc. I also find the current trend of point-related games tedious and it seems very tenuous to apply it to a horror game (and having units - what's that all about?).
    The pencil sharpener thing has been around for long time and your finds are very interesting - I have a very old cannon from the same source iirc.
    Very interesting post btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe,I'm only starting out on this horror lark & needed to start somewhere :)

      The pencil sharpener came up after I read over on LAF John looking for a buggy type wagon which they have one of on the site, so been the ever so nice person I'm I PM'd him about them & posted here to show him scale, it hasn't anything to do with me trying to get him to spend money so his studio will go belly up honestly ;)

      Delete
  6. ok, Apologies for being late to the party.
    I really like this new blog. Nice format and angle on the toy soldier thing, and this post was very helpful with the in-depth rules review.

    I have a question about the card activation where each unit is given a card. Is it secret from your opponent? ...or are the cards dealt face up so everyone knows the order?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Will & welcome on-board :) I'was playing solo but to answer the cards are played face up but would work the face down if you wanted I would think, the only problem I would see with doing so is you would have to keep looking to see what cards your units have.
    But don't forget units can go on hold (overwatch if you like) so even if you know what cards the other player/players have you still don't know when they'll act.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post. I'm not a horror fan at all really, especially the blood and gore type. Thrillers, where it's more about your imagination are scarier in my opinion, but I only watch even them rarely. I would say you are right that characters the audience cares about, along with atmosphere, and things like camera work, music, etc., make or break such films.

    I've come across those pencil sharpeners mentioned by other gamers before, too. Seems like a good source for various vehicles, with the caveat that scale may vary. The carriage and automobile seem to work well with your figures. Where are the seated minis from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, if only I could add some music to these posts :)

      The seated mins are from Foundry' Darkest Africa range.
      https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pages/darkest-africa

      Delete

Followers