Sunday 5 August 2018

Movie Tone News, August 2018

This months news see yet another new rules set (script team) arrive at the studio's :)
                                               
Firefly was a 1 season TV show + 1 Movie that in my humble opinion should have had much more of both & if you never seen it, it's well worth a watch but watch the TV shows first, now I know there's a board game of it but don't know of any miniature gaming rules, so if there are not rules of it Frank what's the connection between it & the new rules you going to be on about ?

Fear not I'm getting to it, Firefly is about a group that with a small spaceship who move around from planet to planet looking for jobs to do, its kind of what I had in mind when I did Tricol & no Panama Jack & crew will not be returning to the screen anytime soon, but this rule set would have worked very well for it
                                                        Five Parsecs From Home
 Five Parsecs From Home, so whats it all about you ask ? well if I was to liken it to anything it would be Jimland as its very much a cross between an RPG & a table top game & like Jimland the gaming part is very simple & not really at the heart of it though unlike in Jimland you will have to play out a game every campaign turn, it is also a solo game but could be played as a two player on group game if you wanted.

You start off with 5 characters which make up your crew/gang or whatever, theh you roll on 3 different tables for each one, this gives you a little bit of background, rolls on other tables for things like weapons, gear & gadgets, it can also give you some credits, patrons or enemies.

Here's how it works, each character start off with the following stats.
Reactions 1
Speed 4
Combat Skill 0
Toughness 3
Tech 0
Though Tech is not use in this rules set there are others like Bug hunt & you can move characters from one to the other, so while its of no use here it is important to track.

So say I role 37 on the first table, that would give me an character from the lower classes of Mega city & +1 roll on the low tech weapons table.
Next roll on the second table say 78, his motive is faith & gives one quest clue
Then I roll on the third table say 14, he's a hacker & gets +1 tech & an enemy.

I now give him a name & come up with a little background story for him, He's Jim Stone & believes all the problems of the universe can be solved with tech-knowledge, but has made enemies from hacking, you would roll to see who the enemy is, say I rolled bounty-hunters, the store can be while hacking into some big high tech corporation they noticed him & have put a bounty on his head.
You could flesh it out a bit more but characters can die so a lot of work could be in vain & its more about what the crew/gang do from this point on then what happened in any of their past.

I would now give him these stats.
Reactions 1
Speed 4
Combat Skill 0
Toughness 3
Tech 0
Any weapons, credits, enemies or whatever I got when rolling for him would be assigned to the crew/gang, so even if he dies the crew/gang would still have bounty-hunters as enemies.


After making your crew its time to get playing so how does this work ?
Determine if we travel.
Upkeep, one credit per crew not in sickbay, if you can't pay them they won't do any jobs.
Assign & resolve crew jobs,  these are the following you can set the crew to doing, that is if you paid them :)
Find a Patron, Train, Trade, Recruit, Explore, Track.
Assign Equipment, what weapons, gear or gadgets each crew member has.
Resolve any Romours
Play out tabletop game
Resolve enemy status
Get Paid
Determine what loot the crew found
Determine injuries & recovory
Experience & Leveling up
Do your shopping
Roll on Campaign events table
Roll on Characters event table
I'll explain now these things work as I post Movie's ( AAR's)

The plan is for this to be low budget while I work on other projects, which brings us to the next point of this months news, the studio's Western project, as was in last months news & work has been on going in the makeup & props department.
The Earp's are back from makeup
From left to right Doc Holiday,Virgil Earp, Wyatt Earp & Morgan Earp
As are Billy the Kid & the Outlaws
Billy center with two outlaws
While the props department has been busy on something big
As I said in last month's news I a timber strut that I need to hide & that's what this is for, I also want to have a mine entrance or may be a cave entrance & as part of it has to be removable I can make a few different parts as to change it at need
Well that it for this months news, so its a goodnight from me & a goodnight from him & always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed :)





 

                                     

                             

10 comments:

  1. I bought the Five Parsecs rules and created a team a while back, but haven't played yet (got distracted painting up various minis for it or some sort of sci-fi skirmish gaming). I'll be interested to so how you get on with it.

    What material is that big terrain feature made from? Is it styrofoam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, yep I remember you posting that you had the rules but hadn't tried them out, I've already made up a crew & played out a campaign turn & found the rules easy to learn, so stay tuned for more on it :)

      Not sure what the name of the stuff is but its the stuff used on the back of insulated plasterboard's, you can also get it without the plasterboard which is what I've used, its wouldn't be as robust as the blue stuff you used for the stone bridge but as I'll be the only one handling it's fine.

      I normally get it out of builder's skips so it free, well this is Nickel & Dime studio's after all :)

      Delete
  2. Well the guy's coming out of Makeup are looking good, especially with thar backcloth that the Props Dept have set up, so a good start there.

    The mine looks interesting, I have to steer clear of any big props like that because I've no storage space left, but I hope you will show how it progresses.

    It sounds like the Five Parsecs rules and campaign system will be right up your street, creating a more free form story than you got with the Pulp Alley Campaign scenarios, so looking forward to reading stories from outer space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John, yep by my standard of painting they came out well :) the back drop was part of an aquarium backdrop that I cut off the rest of it was more close-up stuff & couldn't be used, so while I like it it is a bit on the low side but fine for pictures like these.

    Storage is a problem we all have but I'm lucky enough to have a fair bit, I'll give updates in the monthly news.

    Yes that's what I'm hoping for with five Parsecs as it's more loose so give you more freedom to do what you want & there would be nothing to stop you from playing out another game in the gaming part if it suited your needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really got Firefly though the series and film were OK, but I can see it working well as a game.
    I'm a great western fan though and looking forward to see how you tackle the new project. (Don't like seeing Wyatt with two pistols though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, As I've a lot to do before getting around to westerns I wanted something else to be going along with & while I love Jimland & am using it for the Heart Stone campaign its your domain, so Five Parsecs fills in a gap as I've already got lots of Sci-fi figures already :)

      As for Wyatt, all I can say in my defense is I didn't sculpt him :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds fantastic Frank! Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it 🙂
    *side note, I absolutely love Firefly! Here's how much of a nerd I am, I've still not watched the last episode on my season 1 blu ray because I know when I do, there will officially be no more new Firefly episodes for me*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ivor, that's perfectly understandable mate it was cut down in it prime :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news Frank - I'm a HUGE fan of Firefly so really, really looking forward to this! :-)
    Nice work on the Wild West preparations too, but the Firefly announcement has overshadowed that part of this news edition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, but it not really Firefly just that kind of idea, if I'd the crew & ship from Firefly then maybe it could be that.

      Delete

Followers