Saturday 15 June 2019

HEX Campaign, Whitehall

If you've not read part one yet (John) here's a link.
https://nickelandimeproductions.blogspot.com/2019/04/hex-campaign-knock-on-door.html

England June 29th 1936

Even though she hadn't got much sleep Grace felt reinvigorated & after a small breakfast headed back into the library to check she hadn't missed anything in her hast the night before, it was like a bomb-zone but Grace had no intention of trying to clean it up she just pick her way around it & after about a half hour satisfied that she gotten all she needed walk out & closed the door.

Looking up at the hall clock it was 6.27, so she went into the kitchen made a cup of tea & brought it into the living-room were she wrote a note for the maid explaining that she'd decided to go & visit a friend in America & was unsure when she would return, she then wrote out a glowing reference for the woman & a cheque for a month's wages in lieu  of notice.

Time seemed to stand still & when the clock stuck 8 Grace could stand the waiting around no longer & picking up the case in the hall that contained what she'd found in the library on Ultima Thule & a few personal belongings & she left the house that had seemed more like a prison then a home for the last few months locking the hall-door behind her.

In the June sunshine she walked the few hundred yards to the tube station where she took the underground train to Trafalgar Square, by the time she got there it was a little after nine & as it was only a couple of minutes walk to Whitehall where the meeting was for ten she found a shop & bought a newspaper & sat on one of the benches to read it.

At 9.45 she put the paper down that she'd read with little or no interest, picked up she case & walked the short distance, she no problem finding the building that apart from the number on the front door had no plaques on signs to indicate what the use of the building might be, walking up the steps she knocked on the door which was opened a moment later by a young lady.

Grace introduced herself & the woman who said her name was Beth asked her to follow her, walking up a broad staircase to the first floor they stopped in front of a big pair of double doors that Beth knocked on once before showing Grace inside & closing the door behind her, there was four people in the room, Nigel Warren who had called to Grace's home yesterday, two other men & a woman who Grace didn't know.

They all stood & Warren crossed the room to welcome Grace.
"Grace glad you could make it" he said extending his hand to shake Grace's, "Come let me introduce to everyone"
After the introductions they all sat down, the other people in the room were, Jenny Cregg a reporter with the Times newspaper, Bill Thomson a paleontologists from the Natural History Museum & Gregory Mc Kinley of the Royal National Geographic Society, who Grace thought seemed a bit pompous.
Warren" Before we start I just want to remind you that this is all classified" & looking at Jenny he added " Don't worry Miss Cregg you'll have your story if their is one but as I've already disgust with  your editor all of your reports & pictures will have to be cleared by this department before been published"

Warren" Right lets get things rolling, I think both Mr Kinley & Miss Simms between them should be able to give use all the information there is to know on  Ultima Thule"
For the next couple of hours the story of how Fraenkel at the invitation of S. A. Andree, along with Nils Strindberg set off in an air-balloon named the Eagle in an attempt to reach the North Pole & for the wonderful & terrible events that befell them as they got caught in an air current that pulled then down into the inside of the Earth itself.

Jenny Cregg ( who was only hearing the story for the first time) "Wow, if this is even half true I'm going to have the greatest scoop of all time"
Bill Thomson ( who had heard of the tale but had never known much about it) " It does seem rather wonderful tale & not an easy one to believe"
Nigel Warren"Wonderful or not it sounds dangerous & even more so now that I've heard the story in full, now as His Majesty's Government can't be seen to have any involvement in all of this I've no chose but to let this be a scientific expedition, but I've no intention of letting you folks go off into danger alone so you'll be joined tomorrow by two gentlemen"

Grace" I can take care of myself"
Warren smiling" I'm sure you can Grace but there's more then you going & while I'm sure Miss Cregg is very good at taking shots with a camera I think a gun would be a whole different matter"
Gregory Mc Kinley"Well as this expedition is been launched under the name of the RNGS I guess that puts me in charge"
Warren"Not quite, the lads going with you's will be charge for all things concerning safety & secrecy, on all other matters I'm sure you can decide between yourselves how best to proceed"
Bill" Am I glad to hear that"
This brought him a very stern look from Gregory.
Warren" Right I thing that just about wraps things up, so I suggest you all go have a bit of lunch & then pick up any last bits you think you might need, & I'll meet you all at 7.30pm at Euston Station. 

To be continued

Designers note, once again sorry about the lack of photos in these posts but there all about setting the story, there's one more to go which by the end of we should have reached Hollow Earth & then the fun & games can begin :)

As always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to be a movie critic your comment would be welcomed :)




   

20 comments:

  1. Frank, I don't think the lack of photos was a problem. As you said, this was all about setting the scene and in that respect you succeeded admirably. I'm very much looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan, I'm glad to hear that, but I know we all love to see some eye candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need the exposition my friend! Great stuff, can't wait to see the next episode. And for the record I thought McKinley was a bit pompous too 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, its ok mate this one is not going on LAF :) as for McKinley I think he is as well ;)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely no problem regarding photo's Frank, a good tale well told doesn't really need them and this IS one such tale and I'm looking forward to the next installment :-)
    Quick question that I've meant to ask before - where did you get that grandfather clock????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, on the clock I got it in a cheap doll house set somewhere, but I think I might have two of them & if so your more then welcome to one.
      When I get a chance I'll take a look & come back to you on it.

      Delete
  5. This is great stuff, Frank. I like where you are going with this, looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha thanks for the link. The start of another of your gripping yarns. :)

    The story is developing well, the script writing department are doing a great job for you but the props guys are going to have to go. The limited number of pictures is terrible, your studio is going to have to revert to radio soon ;) just tell them to "crack on"

    I thought your story reminded me of a film " Journey to the Centre of the Earth" but when I looked it up, it wasn't called that and I've never watched it either, my memory is getting worse. However the film has Caroline Monro in it, my all time favourite sexy bird, apart from Mrs V of course.
    Brilliant indoor set for the 2nd picture, looking forward to the next episode but if it's going to be in 2 months time you'll need to put another link back to this episode so I can catch up.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John(I think;) I've had words but they think my demands are unfair & are now threatening to go on strike.

      I read someplace that there are only a limited number of stories & then after that they all start to cross one another, so think of this one as across between Journey to the Centre of the Earth & The Land that Time for Forgot.

      I'll try & speed thinks up for you but if there is a strike it could bring down the studio :(

      Delete
    2. You just let them know that nickel and dime is your studio and they work for you. You can always transfer the business to China if they strike. That's if you dont set the ghouls,and other nasty creatures on them first. I've seen your productions and some of the extras you've employed will eat them alive and spit out the bones.
      Take care - its dangerous out there ;)

      Delete
    3. Lol I like you way of thinking John :)

      Delete
  7. You're just being a bigger tase than before and making our lips smack at the thought of the adventure to come !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Joe, & I ask you, would I do such a thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank the Thin Lizzy song that the intro is to is called Emerald.

    Down from came the fighting men with guns and swords in their hands.

    Do you have any idea which conflict he is singing about?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You mean Down from the glen came the marching men with their shields & their swords, John ?
    I don't think its based on any battle mate, but as they wanted to overthrow the overlords I'd guess it was about fighting you British, or it might be just about a stone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I meant, goodness knows what I'd been drinking when I wrote it. I have a very nice Chateau La Oven Cleaner on the go at the moment, it might have been that.

      Don't go trying to insult me about being British - I'm from Gods own country of Yorkshire, not Britain, we are an independent people and should have broken away from the rest of the Union years ago. ;) Anyway once you kicked the Vikings out of Ireland who else was going to mess up your country if not the British. Oh and the Scots. :)

      Delete
    2. Hehehe, believe it or not mate but since you've left the part that I live in we've been able to mess things up very well on our own ;)

      Delete

Followers