Saturday 21 March 2020

Movie Tone News March 2020

Hello & welcome to this months news, let me begin but saying I hope you're all keeping well in these dark days as the world battles C19.
One thing the studio has want for a long time is an office for Chip, as all P.I's need to have one.
This I started months back & then put it on the long finger for a while, I also added a wc to it.
All offices need a hallway leading to them, so I did one of them as well.
Like all sets I build I like them to have more then one uses o the office,
so this one doubles up as a hotel-room.
On the other side of the hall way is another set, which can be a little pub, cafe,
or even a shop, now both of these sets need some more fleshing out but I'm sure you guys get the idea.
Yes you guessed it, it another shoebox.
In other news you might remember this from a while back ?

                                
To do this set the way I had it planed would have been a hell of a lot of work,
so for the time been I've gone down a different road with it.
I've added this picture to let you see these letter on the building, which I pick up in a craft shop, there made of wood & very cheap but are great for adding detail.
This view is from the side of the set, also as I know some of you guys have a thing for blurry pictures I thought I add one :)
That's not the end of this set btw, as the board is removable.
With the other side done like this, just a single road & factory space.
Look around any city with a river & you'll see lots of different setting as the river makes it way along, the picture below has the board remove & show the cobblestones of the original design, with a factory front used to block off the rest of the board.
As you can see we've not been ideal here at N&D studios, but there's more, not wanting to leave all the crime solving to Chip & Tasha we've brought in some boys & a girl in blue, guess you could call them the quay stone cops :)
We've also added a few from over seas
Not enough been done you say ? well here's another set that's a wip
As you all know all work & no play leads to Jake going mad, so with that in mind I've been busy with Spacehulk
In space they say no one can hear you scream, but in Spacehulk there's a lot of it even if it can't be heard.
In these days of self isolation & social distance N&D wants to show solidarity, so here's Chip doing his bit. 
Well that's it for this months news, so its a stay safe from me & a stay safe him.
As always my thanks for dropping by & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed :)

15 comments:

  1. Awesome looking sets there Frank and the new cast members are excellent ( Hope you had them all tested before being let in the studios).
    Stay safe mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, yep all got a clean bill of health before entering the studio :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you may not have been prolific in your posts, but by gum you've been busy !
    I love the idea of using any paricular set for multiple purposes andhad the crazy idea of 'dropping in' complete rooms into an empty larger set - that would save a lot of effort imho of switching around furniture.
    The street set also has a lot of potential on the waterfront too, btu your road markings need attention -they don;tnormally extend beyound a junction to a main road (frommy experience).
    It's a minor critique in an otherwise perfect set-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joe, your idea about complete rooms is far from crazy but requires a lot more work, but saying that a lot less work when done.

    Spot on about the road markings, I'll have to have words with the sets team :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Frank! Some really nice details there - especially the baseboards, makes a huge improvement on the look of the rooms 😀
    I like your long shots through the doorways, very cinematic!
    Please keep well in these crazy times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor,the rooms need more details yet, little things like shelves, books a phone, those kind of things but the building part is complete & I happy enough with how it turned out :)

      Delete
  6. Wow Frank, you have been busy and it all looks great, well except Space Hulk but that's a minor point. I like the way you created space to look through the windows and see someting rather than paste a window scene on the wall.
    I can see you're going to have a great time with these.

    Is the factory front from the Armchair General range?

    Well done mate a post worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, yep I wanted to have a space outside the windows as I felt it would add to set.
      Hopefully over the years they will see lots of use.
      The factory is from https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/industrial-28mm/products/factory-office-warehouse, but instead of making it as a building I made as a kind of back drop, so that it looks like a bigger factory.

      Delete
  7. Wow! A lot of excellent sets! Truly amazing work. I love the shoe box sets with the different rooms, the picture window with a bit of a view, the large dockside sets with flexibility and options (and the quay stone cops! ha ha!). Truly an inspiring post! I need/want to find ways to produce some small sets/pieces for some of my sci-fi stuff and your posts, while the scenery is different, do give me food for thought. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz,the sets in a box are a good way to do things that are inside buildings as imo normal gaming building are on the small side for using the inside of.
      Flexibility really help to cut down on how much stuff you need to have & how much work you need to do so its win win.
      I hope you do get around to doing some sets as it would be great to see how others go about it & what they come up with :)

      Delete
  8. That is some great work there, Frank. I love your shoebox office/pub/hotel. Superb. The Quaystone Cops eh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Martin, I have a few ideas for some more I'd like to do, well as I took the picture of them at the quay I thought why not :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hooked on your "shoebox sets" when you first introduced them Frank, and now you've taken them to the next level I absolutely love 'em!
    I'm especially jealous of the detailing items you use - telephones, clocks, bathroom fittings etc. I've kept my eyes peeled when browsing the charity shops, and googled the interweb into the wee hours, but haven't found anything (yet).
    The skirting boards are a nice touch - lolly sticks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I had thought of getting some of the Mean Sets which are printed but I just feel that 3d set look more natural, but having said that leave you with a lot of detail to add even after you've built it, the sets above are far from finished in that regards.
      Try looking under dollhouse furniture, also $ Ground do some card furniture.

      Any form of wood or indeed plastic strips would work for skirting boards & the likes.

      Delete
  11. A bit late, but... What a great couple of sets! Super. I look forward to seeing them in action
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Followers