Sunday 16 January 2022

I want to tell you a story

 Telling a story, now before I go on I'd want to point out that I don't consider myself to be any kind of a writer, but making up stories that my models can be used in is something I enjoy doing. Now there are many ways of  going about this & in this post I'm going to take a look at the ones I use.

The Game Story, this is the most common way of doing things, where someone will play out a game & instead of doing what is known as a battle report, which is away of explain how the game played out & in some cases using the report to explain to people how the rules of the game work. Most of you will know how these kind of stories come about, so there's not really a lot for me to cover here, but that said turning  games into a story is no less challenging then any of the other ways of telling a story. Lets look at what I think are the pros & cons of this kind of story.

Pros (1) You get to play with your models, (2) You get the unknown factor, (3) You've a whole table setup & can look at ways of getting the best pictures, (4) You've got a rules set to guide the action, (5) You might be playing the game with another person. (6) The challenge of turning the game into a story. Now I've no doubt that there are a lot more pros then the ones above as there will be with the cons, so if you'd like to point them out in the comments please do,

Cons (1) Set up, this can take a lot of time, (2) You have no control over the dice rolls which could lead to the hero's death, try turning this into a pro by making it a glorious one 😊 (3) In the excitement of the game you forget to take pictures. (4)  Rules, having to stop the action to look something up. (5) You might run out of time. (6) Put away time. 

The Hybrid Story, this works very well with RPG type of gaming & is probably my favourite type, as  you can use it in anyway you like, now I'll try to explain how I go about doing this further on so bear with me please 😊 RPG's are games that can by played with or without the use of models & just like table top gaming come in all different types. Now while this is a look at Hybrid story telling I think I need to cover how RPG's work a little bit, while RPG's like table top games have rules there not as restrictive, eg if I was playing a table top wargame & the enemy were making their way through a passage way in the mountains I couldn't try to blow up the side of the mountain to bring it down on top of them, in an RPG I could try to, but at the same time if my character was a primitive man I couldn't expect him to be able to make a bomb to blow the side of the mountain up with, any GM worth his salt would never allow such a thing. While RPG are basically designed to be played with a couple of players & a GM, it is possible to use some of their mechanizes to play things out solo.  

Pros (1) You have a lot more freedom in what can be done. (2) You don't need to set up a table top. (3) You have as much time as you want to do this. (4) You can decide what you want to play out & what you don't. (5) You don't have to worry to much about rules but be honest with yourself, see primitive man above. (6) No put away time.

Cons (1) You don't get to play a real game. (2) You won't most likely be playing this out with other people. (3) You'll need to set up different scenes to take pictures. (4) You'll most likely use more then just one rule set. (5) You'll need to decided when to make dice rolls. (6) The dice throwing you a curve ball πŸ˜‚ 

The Pure Story. This is where you just tell a story, there's no need to worry about rules or rolling dice, these would be pros that you could add to some of the others above, but at the same time they can be cons. While you have complete control over things you also get no surprises & while I put getting a curve ball in the cons above it can also be a pro in a lot of cases.

Right that covered what I used over the years to tell stories here but that really doesn't help Vagabond, so now I'll try to answer his questions. The first thing I would say is do whatever you enjoy the most, if that's playing out a game & telling a story about it then that's the way to go like wise if its just telling a story, then do that.

Where to start ? Ask yourself what do you want to do, do I want to do a story around stuff I already have or do I want to do a story were I paint up new models & make up new terrain, the later can be a good hobby project, or even like Vagabond you might be trying to go in a different direction altogether.

Story & setting, setting is most likely going to be based on the models you have, the story however can be anything you want it to be regardless. But I only have WW2 models, no problem think, A Band of Brothers, Where Eagle's Dare, Kelly's Hero's, Finding Private Ryan, all very different stories but all in the same setting, don't be afraid to use books of films or even games to get ideas, RPG games are great for ideas & even a lot of two hour wargames are great for building stories that's, & that's why me have remakes πŸ˜‰

I've got my idea now what ? Ask yourself how are you going tell the story (Gaming, Hybrid, Pure or something else) & how long do you want it to be, how long you want it to be is important as it will dictate the pace of the story. If its a short story you'll need to decide what is most important to the story, if its a long store you can spend more time on things like developing the characters. Creating characters & developing them is something I really enjoy, but that is something I'll cover in another post, suffice to say here you will need to do a bit of it for any story.

Pulp Alley's Perilous Island was a campaign I played out & use to tell a story adding little bits here & there to develop characters, while The Dream Stone was just a story I told & while it was short I think it was the best I came up with. Here's an out take from it to show how little character development it needed.

Jim Dale was neither a good man or a God fearing one but compared to the things that have haunted his dreams these last 6 nights he reckoned he was a saint, the dream had started the night of the day he'd bushwhacked the old prospector.

Those few lines told us all we needed to know about Jim Dale for the story to work, in the last story I done The Illuminati Treasure, we had two characters that I'd used before & so could build on them. Now this story was done using the hybrid systerm, the story was already there for me to use as it's a RPG adventure for the Hollow Earth RPG systerm, that's not to say I just took that story & added my characters, while I stayed true to the idea of the story I changed it a lot & made it shorter.

So now to the meat of things, how do I make this hybrid systerm work ? well as there's no GM you really need to create possibilities to drive the story, a bit like those books where if you turn right you go to page 36 if left go to page 46. If you remember the story really started with a man who had been shot crashing his car & handing a notebook to Karl just as the bad guys who shot him turned up. At this point of the story there was really only two out comes, Karl & Esther could jump into the car & drive off been chased by the bad guys in there car, or they could try & fight off the bad guys. I was really hoping for the car chase as that was something I'd wanted to do for a long time.

In the end the dice decided it would be the other way, now as I was only doing this over two parts I decided that instead of doing the whole fight thing I'd just have the bad guys shoot Karl in the leg take the book & leave, at other points through out the story I played thing out, like in part two when I did do a car chase (this one was not in the story btw) & the fight near the end, both of which I might point out I used different rule sets for. So that's a little insight as to how we do things here at N&D & I hope that it might be of some help to anyone thinking of going down the story telling route or even to them that already do that kind of thing.

As always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed 😊 

  

    

9 comments:

  1. A great article Frank, and very well explained. It can be a struggle to get the right balance, and there will always be one who says, I want to see the rules, and ignore the story. Personally I like reading them as stories, it feeds the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, tbh I'm long past the point of worrying about the rules, the post was really for Vagabond who's script writer seems to have a bit of a block at the moment. πŸ€”

      Delete
  2. I'm pleeased that you've explained (very well) your thought processes in your games. Don't belittle yourself though, you're a greta story-teller and I've a;ways enjoyed your tales, no matter what form they take.
    Kepp doing what you're doing, especially if you enjoy doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, that's very kind of you to say so 😊

      Delete
  3. Hi Frank - Thanks for taking the time to put down on paper/internet your thoughts, I greatly appreciate you taking the time and energy to do it. I guess for me the Cons of a table game out weigh the pros at the moment but the RPG idea is more in line with what I would like to do.
    I've been playing a semi role playing game - Gloomhaven over the internet with one of my son's, his girlfriend, the other son's son and Mrs V. We've been doing this once a week for months off and on. I've enjoyed the game and interaction but it's not as good as it could be if we had a good Gamesmaster with a bit more imagination than a fairly simple solo game engine but it's scratching an itch.

    I guess there's nothing new in what you said, but you laid it out very clearly, and succinctly. I've been thinking along the same lines, i.e. if I can't think of something as a story then I'm going to have to borrow it from someone else.

    The big advantage is that I don't really need a full writing department and using the TV for a backdrop the props dept can be done away with. There's no need for a full film crew, I can get away with just a still cameraman. I can see this is going to be a very profitable business venture with so little overhead - just need to get the bums on the seats to cover the costs.
    After our last talk (if internet comments are talk) I think I've found someone's story line I would like to steal and am collecting stuff to be able to create it. 12 months and £25,000,000 should see it come to fruition. :)

    Hope to see more from you in the near future.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I didn't think that you would find anything new in the post tbh mate, but what I did hope was that when seen it in front of you it might make your path a bit clearer 😊 sometimes it can be a case of not being able to see the woods from the trees.

      I have Gloomhaven myself & it been sitting there unopened for close on two years now, I've been lucky enough to have played some RPG's over the years so that might have made it a bit easier for me to go down that road.

      Anyway if the post was a help to you then it was worth the while doing, so all the best with the blockbuster and who knows this time next year you'll be a millionaire πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  4. Love this and that's way I keep coming back time and rime again. I just love your story telling and it has proved quite inspirational to me as I look to find a way back. Ultimately we want to have fun with our toy soldiers and your approach clearly has that at its core.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michael, yep fun is the name of the game πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Blog , Thanks
    Single noble business trip massage Noble business trip massage It is a business trip massage company with no advance payment and no reservation fee in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do. Please use the website for detailed course consultation inquiries.For more at 좜μž₯μ•ˆλ§ˆ

    ReplyDelete

Followers