Thursday 3 May 2018

The Dream Stone

                                              Nickel & Dime Productions
                                                              Presents
                                                     The Dream Stone
Jim Dale was neither a good man or a God fearing one but compared to the things that have haunted his dreams these last 6 nights he reckoned he was a saint, the dream had started the night of the day he'd bushwhacked the old prospector.
It was always the same dream & it always started the same way, with him riding his horse Dove heading for a place he didn't know & hunted by things he didn't understand, Jim had kill many a living thing including the old man he'd taken the stone from (he remembered thinking how he'd thought he'd hit the jackpot that day as he'd held the stone up to the sun amazed at all the different colour's  glittering from the jem) but the things in the dreams Jim imagined where not living as least not in anyway he'd understand.
                                                        Colour! – LIGHT TALK
A whining from Dove brought Jim back to the here & now & as he crested the hill & looked down at the church at the edge of the town & he knew his dreams where just about to become a reality, it seemed as if some unknown force had lead him to this point & all of a sudden things became very clear to him, he'd either get the stone to the church before the last of the light faded from the sky or he would die.
Whipping  Dove into a gallop Jim headed for the town & then he hear it the same baying sound he'd heard in the dreams & a cold shiver ran through him, as he neared the town he slowed Dove to a trot the sun was now sinking fast & the shadows lengthening, it was getting harder to see clearly but Jim from gut instinct alone knew there was something very wrong about this town, where are the people he thought ?
Then all of a sudden something reared up in front of him, spooking Dove who went into a frenzy rising on to her hind legs & kicking out at it, at this point Jim was thrown from the saddle & now free of her rider Dove bolt.
Gain his feet & looking at the thing intensely he drew his gun & fired, it was as he feared the bullets had no effect blinding terror gripped him & he took off running for his life, from behind him he could hear the thing gaining on him but he dared not look back.
Known he couldn't out run the creature Jim ran for one of the single story buildings & as he reached it he sprang, hitting the wall with one foot he grabbed the top & pulled himself  up onto the roof hearing a sharp snapping sound, turning round Jim looked down on the creature it was as he'd hoped the creature couldn't climb up after him.
As Jim stood there looking down at the thing it let out a baying sound which was answered by others, Jim knew that gaining the roof had bought him sometime but that was all, the creatures would somehow find away of getting up after him, this he knew in his heart the danger was far from pasted.
With the sun half below the horizon Jim took a moment to look around him, the church was at the far end of the town it's bell shining bright like a beacon it the last of the setting suns rays, his time was running out.
Looking down again Jim seen the there was now two of the creature's & looking back at the church Jim realized he would just have to make a dash for it reaching it or die trying, Jim raced across the roof top & leaped across the gap onto the roof of the next building hoping that the creatures would take time to notice that he'd bolted, at the far end of the other building he dropped back down onto the ground & took off running faster they he'd ever run in his life, then the baying sound came again & taking a quick glance back over his shoulder he spotted the two creatures looping along on their strangely jointed legs.
He'd a good lead but from the sound of their feet hitting the ground Jim was sure they where gaining fast,it would be a close race & he was still some distance from the church, fear drove him on but he was already starting to feel the first prangs of pain in his side, a few more minutes & it will all be over one way or the other he thought.
With the last of his strength draining from him Jim reached the church, grabbing the doorknob he turned it hearing the welcoming sound of the door opening but as he made to step inside he was caught in a vice like grip.
Jim woke in a state of fear & lying on the bed soaked from his sweat he swore to himself that he would get rid of the cursed stone before the end of this day, or die trying came a little voice from the back of his mind.
Jim Dale was neither a good man or a God fearing one but compared to the things that have haunted his dreams these last 7 nights he reckoned he was a saint, the dream had started the night of the day he'd bushwhacked the old prospector.
Designers Note, My first thoughts was when I came up with this was to play it out as a game using the rules from Chain Reaction's High Moon, but I just carried on with the script instead of playing it out, as I'm trying to get some model painting done (ugh) these days so I'm not playing games :(
Anyhow I'm finding it easier & quicker doing things this way as you just write the script set things up & take a few pictures so no need for rolling dice or taking notes :)

Before I go, Ivor of Saturday Mornings frame posted a few days back that he'd among many other things had bought Escape from Colditz which is a board game & one that I had & loved many moons ago, Ivor like myself was wondering how cool it would be to do it in 3D, well mate I hope the picture below inspires you :) 

                                             
That's a rap, as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to be a movie critic & leave a comment it would be welcomed :)  
cut
     

11 comments:

  1. Another thoroughly enjoyable gripping yarn Frank, with a clever "twist" in the tail (no spoilers for those who read the comments first) :-)
    I wouldn't have known you hadn't 'played it through' - it could so easily have been a game report.
    I feel your pain with painting (and modelling) eating into gaming time :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, yep I agree it would have worked as a game & tbh it was going to be one which is why it probably came across that way.

      If someone is reading the comments first then getting a spoiler would be justice, its amazing how many of us are not into the whole painting thing :)

      Delete
  2. Another excellent tale Frank. I like the start and finish, of course the bit in the middle is pretty good too.
    As usual you have some very nice camera angles and that dark background works very well;)

    Hum painting, we have to get it done but I agree it's something I would rather not have to do.

    You will have to try those rules and let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John, I'm not sure where I came across the idea for the dark background I think it might have seen it on a blog ;)

    Yes the painting has to be done but that doesn't make it fun :)

    I'll get around to using the rules at some points, but having read them a few times & read your AAR's I've a feeling you changed a lot of things mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRILLIANT FRANK! An actual model of Colditz, love it :)
    Great little story there too - I really like how important a good narrative is to you, and it certainly shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, I thought you might like the Colditz picture but I'm now expecting great things from you ;)

      The narrative is is very important to me alright Ivor even if I'm only doing a comedy I still like to have some kind of story :)

      Delete
  5. I did think that this was a game you had played through and no, I won't buy that London Bridge from you.
    I must admit though that I was intrigued by the 3D Colditz game; I too played this game many times, many moons ago (as well as a computer version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, but London Bridge is so nice :) I think it work have worked well as a game tbh so if anyone wants to give it a try feel free,yep the 3D Colditz is very cool looking & something I'd love to try at some point, but that the thing with our hobby Joe so many cool idea's & never enough time :(

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "the thing with our hobby Joe so many cool idea's & never enough time"

    So true, but what a wonderful "problem" to have! fortunately, we get to enjoy the execution of some of those ideas vicariously through the works of our fellow gamers.

    I actually do enjoy painting. I'm not fast nor very meticulous, but I enjoy both the process and the results. I do spend much more time painting than gaming, and even less time reporting on games in the way some of you gentlemen do. I do want to get around to trying my hand at some of the story-telling sorts of reports like yours.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Fitz,Yes it's a wonderful problem alright, I like your good self enjoy the results of painting myself it's the painting bit I'm not to pushed on ;)

    I hope you do get around to trying the story telling Fitz as I think its wonderful, I'm not saying I'm very good at it but I do find it very enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers