Monday 18 January 2021

A Grim Dark Newyear

With that title I could very well be talking about real life at the moment for many of us, but fear not :)

The grim dark I'm speaking for is GW 40K universe & my return to it, but that return however will not be 40K but in a game that for me betters captures life in the far distance future, Necromunda. GW rereleased Necromunda a few years back & while I did play a couple of games of the original Necromunda I never got into it. 


With a lot of the guys in the club playing it & putting together a campaign I thought to myself why not give it another go, so about this time last year I picked up the Underhive box set, which contains two gangs ( that's what the forces are called in the game ) the Goliath's who are big muscle guys & the Escher's who are a female gang.


Now with me been a former Sisters of Battle player you would be forgiven for thinker I play the Escher's but I instead decided to go with the Goliath's, who had just had their gang book released, so I picked up the book, worked out a 1'000 credits list (aka points) set about building the models & started painting them.

Now as most of you know I've no love for painting & having gotten use to painting more simpler models then GW very high detailed ones I found it to be a real struggle & had not in fact got my gang ready by the time the campaign kicked off, but just after it started came a whole world life changing event that still holds so many of us in its grip even today.
Necromunda was put back on the shelf & forgotten all about, so what's all of that got to do with A grim Dark Newyear Frank ? you may well ask, well over the Christmas hols I decided to take another look at Necromunda & have to say I was blown away by what I seen. I don't know if I mentioned it before but a few month's back I got a gift of Gloomhaven, but have not opened the box as I feared it as a Pandora's type that I might get sucked into & never return.
Well it looks like I might have changed one Pandora's box for another, but I'm skipping ahead a bit, like I said over the hols I took another look at Necromunda & liking what I seen took the box off the shelf & tried out a few games, as I'd only made some of the Goliath's & none of the Escher models I had to look for something else I could use.
Luckily enough I'd Genestealer Cult models from Overkill another GW game, so I put together a gang from them & played out a few games, much to my shame using mostly unpainted models & terrain, but in my defence, I didn't want to go through painting if I didn't like the game, but as it turned out I loved it, even giving the fact that its not designed for solo play, I then done something else that I've not done for a long time in that I played a game against another person in the form of my son-inlaw who's still a 40K player & even losing I still had a ball.

I've since been painting getting things done for the game & at time of posting, I've most of the terrain that came with the game painted, I've built the rest of the Goliath's & done some more painting on them (still not enjoy it) & have built the Eschers, I've also test painted two of the Genestealer cult models & these oddly enough I did enjoy painting. Those are the two strange looking chaps above for those not into GW stuff.

So what have I found in Necromunda that has giving me the bug for it ? Well lots tbh, firstly Necromunda is very campaign orientated, also I discovered that outside of the house gangs & the law enforcer gang that are standard to the game from way back when, you can now make you own bounty hunter's gang & a chaos gang, this gives me plenty of options & lets me use a lot of models I already have.

Another big bonus for me is the chance to use many different models from across many different gaming systems, like the last picture above which is a female pirate from Black Scorpion, but with an Escher sword & a Mechanicus pistol, she's now right at home in the Underhive as a Bounty hunter.

Well that's it for this post, as ever my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed ๐Ÿ˜Š

17 comments:

  1. Intervention everyone, Frank's slipped off the bandwagon and gone all GW again ! LOL
    Joking aside mate if your enjoying it that's the main thing and a huge bonus that you've got other models you can utilise in it. I haven't played the new version, but ran a spyrer gang in the original(only had to paint 5 models) as I worked at GW at the time I spent most of my time painting store models, so tended to go for smaller forces for my own. Not heard if they're doing them for this version as they were damn hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, LOL your right but in a very weak defence I'll point to the last picture :)
      It plays very similar to the old game, but one big change is how the bottle test works, instead of when you fail your whole gang runs away, you now start rolling against each models cool stat.
      That for me is a good thing as it means one bad dice won't cost you to lose the game.
      Paint 5 models you say! that sounds like my kind of gang :)

      Delete
  2. Nice painting! I especially like the bounty hunter conversion! I guess I'm kind of partial to that sort of "space pirate" look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, yep its something about space pirate's that I like myself:)

      Delete
  3. It's a real buzz, re-finding an old interest and breathing new life into it. If you're moved enough to paint and convert figures for it, then it's a good thing. GW did many good games that were shelved prematuerly imho and it' great that they're slowly re-releasing a few with what looks like a refresh.
    Your paintin jobs are nothing to be sniffed at, the Goliaths look great and the re=purposed Pirate is a great idea to 9nad she looks splendid too!).
    I'm all for using models across different games where possible - good luck with getting this project to completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, couldn't agree with you more, GW at one point decided that the only game that counted was 40K & add epic 40K into it & imo ruin the game as it became to big & slow.

      To give them credit they've done a u-turn on that & now have many games you don't need to take out a mortgage to play, though still not cheep.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you are keeping busy,even if it isn't Proper wargaming.
    Unless of course you are not P.C. and define wargaming as having fun playing with toy soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Douglas, Yep keeping busy which is a good thing when your in lockdown, & thankfully I'm not PC & just love playing with my toys :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Frank,
    I have to agree that Christmas seems to be the time for new obsessions.
    I also agree that GW models are overdetailed and take an inordinate amount of time to complete.
    So great job getting through these, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wil, It'd an odd one, as if your thing is painting all that detail is great, but I would guess based on my own experience that most people that play GW games would be happier with less detail.

      Delete
  6. Great Scott Frank, I didn't realize that you were an old GW guy. I've never played any Warhammer or any of numerical K's lol, but that's fantastic that what was old is new again ๐Ÿ˜€ Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your possible campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, yep GW is how I got into this hobby so I'll always be grateful to them for that, the BIG K lol is a wonderful place but the main game 40K has for my liking just got to big but Necromunda is small, as for the campaigns I don't have to come up with any as there are many for the game all ready :)

      Delete
  7. Franco, it might worth checking out stargrave when it is released. It is kind of a dungeon crawler set in space kind of like firefly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frank, I played Chaos Cultists in Necromunda the year before lockdown and had a great time. I loved the progression (and injury) mechanics.
    I was playing againt a very 'optimised' Delaque gang, and on turn 1 my cheapo cultist managed to hit the gang leader and two champions with a free fire grenade I got from a territory.

    They spent the the next few rounds rolling around on fire and getting picked off mercilessly- all their fantastic flashy gear and guns didnt save them.

    Moments like that are worth the price of admission- which is downloading a PDF and finding some human infantry models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angel, a chaos gang is one of the ones I'll be putting together, I'm thinking of using my Blackstone fortress models for it ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  9. Necromunda was one of my favourites games way back and I've played a couple of games of the new one. Hope you enjoy it, maybe we'll see some batreps ?

    ReplyDelete

Followers