Saturday 31 March 2018

Outer Worlds Investigations

FOR INVESTIGATOR PAUL UNSWORTH EYE'S ONLY
DO NOT OPEN UNTIL ARRIVAL ON OUTER WORLD JUNO IV
IT IS AN OFFENCE FOR ANYONE OTHER THEN AUTHORIZED PERSON TO OPEN.

Investigator Unsworth,
The following is a brief on your mission.

It has come to the attention of the Central Investigation Bureau, that  Commandant Mark Orr has been recently seen in the company of  Urlock Neaster at the Beast's Head, what dealings a highly decorated military officer like Commandant Orr would have with someone of the colorful back round of Neaster is of interest to C.I.B.

Attached are files on the pair which you & your team should study in detail before deciding what action to take, but keep in mind your target of investigation is Orr not Neaster.
I trust that you will be successful in this your first mission as a newly inducted Investigator & await your report upon completion of the case.

Regards
Chief Investigator Rose Weston
This & the pictures below are from the recon of the base.
So it was that newly appointed Investigator Unsworth & his team of novices had their first case, making up that team was Andrea Raponi, Charlie Makay, Ford Lapin & Julian Carter, all straight out of rookie school.

This was standard practice for C.I.B, where a new Investigator was joined by a team made up of recently trained Agents. The idea behind this was that they would be assigned low risk cases & given time to grow as a group gaining experience & evolving into a crack team of Investigators,of coarse some of them wouldn't make it but C.I.B deemed it better for a novice mistake to bring about the death of an inexperience Investigator then an experience one.

The file on Commandant Orr reviled that he had a very decorated military career, having come up through the ranks & been twice awarded the merit of gallantry for deeds of outstanding acts of valor.
After his last successful campaign in the Halos System it was decided that due to his advancing age that he would be assigned to Juno IV a sleepy backwater world in the outer rim.

Orr had a wife named Ann now deceased & two sons, the older one also named Paul & Liam, Paul owns what seems a very successful antique's & rare items business & has a wife Carol & daughter  Janice, Liam is a mathematics teacher & single.

Neaster's file was a lot more interesting, Among the many business's he has, one is a registered freight business but it is C.I.B's belief that it is only a front for more unsavory going on's with smuggling been chief among them, many a time his transports have been found to have goods not registered on them but no blame could ever be laid at Neaster's door, added to this is his close association with many for the criminal kingpins on the other worlds & his liking for the finer things in life chief of which is a collection of rare & priceless objects from many a different world.

Unsworth"Well everyone what do you think ? The Commandant we must assume has done wrong at this point, but for a man of his position mixing with the likes of Neaster is a bit out of the ordinary  to say the least"

Carter"If I may sir ?
Unsworth" By all means carry on Julian"
Carter" Thank you Sir, well what I was thinking was if as C.I.B suspects Neaster is indeed smuggling then having  the Commandant in the loop would be a very useful thing, but how he would have gone about doing so is a mystery giving the Commandant's record"

Makay"That's the thing isn't it ? while it would make sense from Neaster's end why would Orr at this stage of his life risk all to get into some underhanded business with Neaster ? His credit account show he is comfortable enough & his close family at first glance would appear to be above board"

Unsworth" Still something doesn't seem right here & it's been my experience over the years that in most cases when something doesn't seem right its not, we've two starting points for this investigation the Beast Head & the Base where Orr is stationed.

Raponi" If we could gain assess to Orr' personal computer we might find something there that might help us, should me try to hack it for here ?"

Unsworth"Your right Andrea, getting into Orr's computer is something that might give us an insight as to what's going on, but it might be best to do that on his  computer instead of trying it from afar, I'm thinking if we could somehow get into his office at the base & do it."
"He'd also have a safe so we could kill two birds at the same time by getting in there"

Makay" That might be easier said then done Sir, after all it is a military base"
Lapin, who had been rolling a cigarette spoke for the first time"I' think we should just walk in through the gate"
They all turned to look at him to see if he was making some kind of joke
Unsworth" Would you care to explain Ford ?
Lapin" I lived before I joined C.I.B close to a military base & if there one thing I know its that there is always some guardsman looking for credits, now if I'm right they get their credits at the end of the month, two days from now."
"This is what I have in mind sir, on that night we head down to the Beasts Head as they have gambling tables there, we can snoop around & also keep an eye on the tables to see if any of the guys lose heavily, it might need a couple of nights but my guess would be that some of them will lose all they have, then we approach one of them with a story about how we want a couple of guard uniforms for a night to play a prank on a friend & that if he could get them for us we pay him well & return everything the next day"


Unsworth" I see where your coming from Ford, if we'd some uniforms & papers we'd be able to enter the base in disguise."
Lapin"Exactly sir, once pass the main gate we're just more guardsmen among many"
Carter"But if it becomes noticed that someone was in the base the guard would know it was us"
Lapin" It won't mater because he couldn't say anything without explaining how he knew & he's not likely to do that"


Unsworth"I think Ford's plan is our best shot, if we can get three uniforms then Ford, Andrea & Julian should go in, while Charlie & myself act as back up in case something goes wrong"

Four days later & with a successful recon done of the base, they had the uniforms & where ready to go, just as Lapin had say there's always a Guardsman in need of credits, while at the Beasts Head they learned that something was to go down in just over a weeks time, but what it was or where it might take place they no idea.

Designers note, this is a new thing I'm trying out & is closer to an RPG then a normal table top game but solo, how do you play an RPG solo Frank your asking ? tbh I've an idea but how it will work out I've no real clue, how does that turn into a movie ? hopefully very easy but again the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we'll have to see :)

That's a rap for this post, as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed :)


 


 

16 comments:

  1. Well Frank this seems to be a complete departure for you from your normal stories and I'm very interested to see how it plays out.
    Don't give away anything you don't want to but are you using a different set of rules to pulp alley, and will you play this as a detecting game?
    It's funny you should start this as I've been thinking about how to do a detecting game and a couple of days ago one of the blogs I'm following did one set in a blade runner style of world and now you appear to be doing something similar.

    Well the base looks excellent, you've kept all that building work very quiet, and as usual you have a good story line going so I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, yes its a very different set of rules that I'll be using & one,s that I've been working on for a while now, without giving anything away I've played out the game (movie coming soon) & while there are some winkles to be ironed out I was happy with how it worked over all.

    Yes its a detecting game at heart but I'm not sure how much control I have over how it will develop & what type of things I should try or not try as its all very new to me, after you've seen the movie John I'd be very interested in you're thoughts & those of others & if you do try a detecting game I'd be more then interested to see how you approach it :)

    There's only two new buildings in the whole set mate which are two open ended warehouse's that you can see one of in the first picture, the rest of the stuff I've had a long time but not used in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re the terrain, I was very taken by the wire mesh panels on what look like clear bases, so clear that I didn't see them at first.

    I'm all geared up for the story, don't tell me I have to wait another week? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had them on normal bases John but they looked wrong on this table so put them on clear ones, the good news is they look much better the bad news is their a bugger to keep straight.

      The Movie has no official release date yet as its in the editors department :)

      Delete
  4. Most impressive, atmospheric and superb terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Phil, very kind of you to say so :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to your cameraman - my guess is someone has worked in film noir. Very atmospheric.

    Yes, there are people who play solo rpgs. There are a few blogs and other resources out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz,that kind of you to say so I can only hope the movie hold up to the build up :)

      I've not had a lot of experience with RPG as any I got into seemed for one reason or another didn't last long :( I'll have to investigate & try & find some of the ones your talking about, hint hint link if you could please :)

      Delete
    2. Here are some:
      http://solosaurus.blogspot.com/
      http://solorpggamer.blogspot.com/
      http://battreps.blogspot.com/ (check the Solo wargames and RPG label in the Labels section on the right side of the blog)
      http://noonetoplay.blogspot.com/
      http://aloneamongstmany.blogspot.com/

      You will likely have to do some digging through their posts; look for labels; find the earlier posts where they probably talked more about how they do things; then read some of the reports of actual play.

      There was a really good blog called Solo Nexus, but it looks like it is invite only now, so I don't know what's there anymore.

      In addtion, on the BoardGameGeek site there is a Solo Roleplaying guild - https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1999
      with plenty of good information and inspiration.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the links Fitz :)

      Delete
  7. Frank I hope you don't mind but Fitz-Badger asked on Michael Awdry's blog for a link to a post of mine. I didn't want to self promote there as I've only just started to follow and it didn't seem right so I will put the link here.
    If you are not happy about it just let me know and I'll delete it, no worries.

    The link to the blog is here https://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk
    And the post is in February for the village and the fields but the game in which the fields are shown is the current game report.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Frank doesn't mind! Thanks for the link. Looks fantastic! I look forward to delving into your blog more.

      One thing I like about these various blogs is they are a good source for information, inspiration, and entertainment.

      Delete
    2. What you want me to promote a rival studio for free John ? why of all the cheek, now if your willing to pay for advertisement then that's a different matter :)

      Fitz my apologizes as I'd not seen the comment & would have been more then happy to give you the link had I done so I hope you don't think I was just been rude.

      Delete
    3. Frank - Of course I don't want you to promote my blog for free, here is my I.O.U.

      I.O.Frank. One Drachma in perfect condition, available on demand at my front door.

      Frank I probably should mention the alarms, electric fence and Doberman guard dogs, although there are only 3 of them, it's usually the snakes that keep the post man away. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Good looking set-up and I'm looking forward to this departure from the usual shoot-em up affairs. PLaying solo may well have it;s benefits but keeping secrets from oneself is a tad bothersome I've found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe,I know what you mean about keeping secrets from yourself but knowing the secrets & finding them can be two different things :)

      Delete

Followers