Thursday 17 January 2019

Movie Tone News Jay 2019

Hello & welcome to this months news, with Christmas & the New Year fading into the past things are busy at N&D studio's with lots going on & all departments working hard to try to make this year at lest as good as the last but hopefully better.

So what's going on ? oddly enough this year has started like the last one in that another boat has been made by the props team, this one has been in waiting even longer then the one that was done last year.

It's a cargo-ship from TT Combat & I have to say this went together like a dream plus its easily comes apart making assess to the rooms no problem something that couldn't be said for the paddle steamer that was done last year.
I've since taking the pictures gotten some paint on it & was hopping to use it in a up coming release but have decide not to wait, more on the reason why will be explained below

Its a big kit so there's plenty of room for gaming on it, the only draw back for me is the scale is more 32mm or 35mm bu I'm sure the cameraman can over come this :)

The sets team have also been busy & build a nice little park square, these think where quite common in the Victorian days.
sorry about the poor pictures but you get the idea 

It has only one entrance so other then using he gate to enter will require a stunts test also shooters could use it for firing across known that a brawler would have a harder time getting to him/her.
I still want to add a few more details may be a couple of benches & a postbox  

Lots of new stars have also been hired so costume & makeup are flat out as well.
These are but a few of the new stars you'll be seen through out the year, these & some others that are now finished have been put on clear bases

All of this brings me to the main point of this month's news & that is what good is all of this stuff if no movie's are been released ? N&D is no different then other studio's in building up their collection but not getting thing on the screen.

A game within  a blog, what does that mean ? good question, now I made no bones about the fact that the most enjoyable part of this hobby for me is making movie's (playing games & AAR's), looking back over the last year in last month's news I noticed out put of movie's dropped off near the end of the year & that's somethings I want to fix & here's the plan.

Budget, well to say that the budget has been well & truly blown on new stars & props would be an understatement but I'm not going in to all that, so time for them to start earning their living, the plan is to link the budget to movie's.
So when I release a movie I'll check after a month to see how many people have seen it & that will be added to my hobby budget, also for a movie to qualify it must have something new in it, be it a star a set of a prop.

The think behind all of this is simple, 1 if I want to buy something I'll have to make movie's, 2  because there needs to be something new in it it should encourage me to get stuff done & 3 like everybody else in this business I buy stuff & like the ship above it can be left lying around for a long time, so only having a limit on when I can spend & how much should help in getting old stuff done & help cut down on buying on impulse.
Needless to say things like glue, paint &  brush's won't come out of the budget, but everything else will. 
In other news my mate Darra was home for Christmas & is the case when he over we got a game in, this time it was Congo, I had taking a few pictures & had intended to show them here but have misplaced the phone I use for picture's, but luckily Darra  had also taking some & has put up an AAR on his blog, so if you like a look there's a link below.
https://dakeryus-blogofwar.blogspot.com/2019/01/conflict-in-congo-with-studio-tomahawks.html?showComment=1547729140842#c472932281204732621

Well that's it for this month's news, so its a goodnight from me & a goodnight from him, as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to comment it would be welcomed :)


 G

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Frank. You have some lovely eye candy here. I really like that ship and have been thinking about buying it to use in a zombie apocalypse game but have put the idea on hold as I'd also need some docks and appropriate props and scenery. That said I am a big fan of TT Combat's products so who knows?
    I look forward to seeing more of your movies and your new cast members. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, I build the docks I think around the same time as I got the ship but for what ever reason the ship was left sitting so nice to have it built at last.

      Delete
  2. Great post Frank - I love your "budget" idea :-) Tying in your expenses to studio output, and at the same time giving yourself a nudge to tackle the modelling and painting projects backlog is a BRILLIANT idea!!
    The TT Combat ship looks fantastic, my first thoughts were the same as Bryan re zombie apocalypse gaming, but I imagine it'll be a great feature for lots of genres.
    Nice work with the park too, which again should come in useful in a variety of situations :-)

    I was beginning to wonder when I would start to shake off the post Christmas & New Year slothfulness, and I do believe this post has provided the inspiration to find the spark!
    Thanks buddy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, getting back into the swing of thing can be hard at this time of year so if this post helps you out I'm more than happy :)

      Delete
  3. I agree that the budget idea sounds like a great motivator.

    The cargo ship and park square sets look brilliant, and the new actors look great, too. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fitz, as is normal for this time of year people are talking about different was to get the lead mountain reduced & this is my pitch on it, but like I said for me at least I want to be getting stuff on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frank, I'd noticed the movie output has been slipping so I'm pleased you are aiming to rectify that, I do like a good film.

    It looks as though you have been busy in the props and costumes departments with some top class additions to the sets, look forward to seeing them in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, yep I think it started when I took on the Western project as there so much to do for that it took up most of my time, so I'll work on it at a slower pace while also doing other stuff :)

      While you bring up movies I notice you still haven't released one of a certain weekend ;)

      Delete
    2. You're right, I seem to be at a bit of a cross roads at the moment, I've not played a game for a good few weeks and the DevLAM game was complex and long and my hearts not in writing it up.
      I had a game of Wings of War they have just started a solo campaign on the Aerodrome site and I'm taking part in that and I had no trouble writing that up so I'm not sure what's happening.
      Good luck with the Western project.
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Frank! Looking forward to seeing what N&D do for 2019 🙂

    I have that same TT Combat freighter and the one thing I would possibly recommend would be to cut a piece of XPS foam to raise the hull, I think it just sits too low to the water imho.

    I will say I'm not a fan of keeping to a budget lol! You need to be like Saturday Morning's and blow that budget out of the water every month and then have everything you bought mothballed into boxes like me 😃

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ivor, I agree 100% on the hull been to low & if I'd not already started painting it I might well have done like you say, but tbh I want to get stuff done not get bogged down.

    On blowing the budget out of the water lol I kind of did nearing the end of last year & now I've that much stuff to get done that if I don't spend another nickel or dime all year it still won't be all done :( lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know well the feeling of having stuff left around for an age before attending to it!
    Well done with the premise that new stuff will have to be "earned", it'll be intersting to see how that goes before you fall for new "shiny" stuff once more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Joe, I'm glad to see you have such good faith in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice!
    I especially like the ship. I really like ships. I think I need one of those...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joakim, maybe you could 3D print one :)

      Delete
    2. :-)
      If only. Haven't found anything suitable, yet.

      Delete

Followers