Saturday 27 July 2019

HEX Campaign, The plane

The start of this story can be found here.
https://nickelandimeproductions.blogspot.com/2019/04/hex-campaign-knock-on-door.html

How Tom Smith hoped to take them to where the plane was without a compass or a sun above Grace had no idea, but she noticed as they set off he was doing something with his watch which she thought strange given that all of their watch's had stopped working.
Looking at her own she she found this was still the case, after they gone about 50 yards, Smith stop them all, he then marked a tree looked at his watch picking a diction he then wrote in a little note book & set off again, this was repeated about every 100 yards or so, this peeked Grace's curiosity & as they stopped she ask him about it.
Grace" Can I ask what your doing & why Tom ?"
Tom" Its a little trick of mine & if you ask me later when we're back at the Scorpion I'll explain it to you Grace but for now I want to keep going"
About an hour & a half later they came to the clearing but to their dismay as they looked across the clearing to where the plane was they seen that a Triceratops & her calf were stood right next to it.
Bill" Judging from this distance that thing looks a lot bigger then any of the skeletons that have been found on the earth above, wouldn't you agree Gregory ?" 
Gregory" Yes indeed but they've had many million years to evolve down here"
Tom" That's all very interesting but have you guys any idea as to how we might get that thing to move from there ?"
Gregory" That thing is nothing more then a big cow so you could try firing a few shots into the air"
Tom" As we don't know what else or who else might be near by I don't think firing off shots would be a good idea, plus I don't want to be wasting ammo, so here's the plan as the wind is blowing straight across the clearing it won't pick up our sent, Bob you & Grace head across the clearing & head down nearer on that side, Bill you come with me,Jenny I want you to stay here with Gregory so that when we head back we'll have our starting point."
Gregory"I don't see why I should have to stay here & babysit, I say we should all just go over there yelling & waving our arms about that thing would most likely run off."
Tom" Or maybe just run over us, now please just do as I ask & stay here, Bob, Grace off you go & be careful, Bill with me."
With that they set off leaving Jenny & Gregory behind, while the mother triceratops looks about but doesn't move.
Pushing on Tom doesn't notice a little crate in the undergrowth,
but Bill happens to spot it & opens it but it empty. Mean while Gregory things a photo of him with the Triceratops in the background would make a good front-page picture & talks Jenny into taking a picture. 
Grace & Bob have now reached the far-side of the clearing & disappear into the jungle.
In their hast they fail to notice a small package.
This time Tom does spot a little create & flips the lid open with his foot & is only save by his quick reflex as a snake darts at him with its mouth wide.
Grace comes across a dead fire that had been set in a ring of stones & an idea forms in her mind.
Relighting the fire she hands a burning log to Bob & take one for herself.
Grace" Here take this & as we get closer to that thing we'll get some damp moss start it smoldering & chuck it at it in the hope that the smoke will spook it.
As they draw closer Bob seems to freeze stopping dead.
Grace" Bob what's the matter are you ok ?"
Bob"Yep I'm alright not sure what came over me there for a minute.
Tom now more or less with the level Triceratops finds a small parcel,carefully moving closer he smells a strange odor coming from it. 
Banding down he takes out his knife & slits the sack open & is amazed to see what can only be dung fall out, Jones mean while having recovered his nerve moves a bit closer & getting a bit of moss to start smoldering lobs it out near the Triceratops.
But apart from turning it head away from it a letting out a roar it didn't move.
Getting inpatient Gregory" This is taking far to long I'm telling you that thing will scare with a few loud shouts & the waving of arms"
With that he turns away from Jenny & starts marching out into the clearing.
Intermission, grab some refreshment & come back to us :)
Grace throws out another lump of smocking moss, but the thing still an't moving.
Bill catches up to Tom who tells him what he just found.
Bill" my guess would be either it was going o be used for a fire or someone was going to smear it on themselves to keep predators away, if its from the right type it might help us get closer to the Triceratops & might even help scare it away.
Tom" I'd like a bit more then a might to be honest but we'll give it a try" & they both pick up a good handful & rubbed it on themselves. 
With more smoke building up around it the Triceratops is getting more agitated.
Grace" It seems to be working keep throwing more Bob"
Seen what was happening on the other side of the clearing, Tom & Bill start to make their way across hoping the smell added to the smoke might just be enough to make the thing move.
This picture is to make Vagabond not feel to bad :)
As they got closer Bill lost his nerve & unnoticed by Tom turned & fled, but if the dung would have worked or not there's no way of known, as the build up of smoke got the better of the large beast & it moved off with its calf in tow.
Before the thing had gone any distance Grace as fearless as ever was racing towards the plane.
Tom seen the way clear also starts running for the plane, as Grace followed by Bob round the smoke.
As they reach the plane, Bob" What is that foul smell ?"
Tom" Its off me I'll explain it later"
Gregory not wanting to be left out again hastens his step,
to join them at the plane.
Tom who was really annoyed to see Gregory hadn't done as he'd said," What the hell do you think your at Gregory ? Didn't I tell you to wait with Jenny ?
Gregory who didn't that kindly to been spoken to in such away" She'll be fine, you guys were taking for ever to get rid of the Triceratops & I thought you could use my help"
Tom" I hope for your sake she is, Bob will you head back over to Jenny ? the rest of you with me, lets see if we can solve the mystery of this plane.
Tom" You guys check the cargo while I go look in the cockpit"
No one seemed to have noticed that Bill was missing.
To be continued 
Designers Note, It was nice to be able to roll some dice again :), but a bit behind how things worked, I was using mainly the rules for 45 Adventure with somethings added, the group had 20 turns to reach the plane & believe it or not did so with only one turn to spare. 
On the board where six markers, two would be a help, two traps & two would be nothing (see empty create above ) there was a chance they would miss the makers altogether as a brains test was needed to spot them, with the two that could help then needing another brains test to figure out how to use them, for the two traps a card from Pulp Alley was used & if the test was failed the character took a hit.
To add to things each turn Gregory & Jenny would roll a D10 each, & on the roll of a 1 would start marching off towards the Triceratops, if it was Gregory the reason would be well because he's Gregory, if it was Jenny it would be because she wanted a close up picture, luckily for me I wasn't as hot on rolling one's as normal & it was about turn 11 or so before Gregory rolled his 1, as an early roll could really have thrown a spanner in the works.
The wind direction was rolled for & as luck would have it it was blowing across the table from behind the Triceratops which meant they had to get real close to it, coming within 12" of it meant a horror test which would be a roll against the characters guts stat if pasted the character wouldn't need to roll again, if failed a card would be drawn from the PA horror deck to see what the effect was.
How to move a Triceratops ? well with 3 pistols between them shooting it wasn't going to do much, The Triceratops had a guts stat of 8 & the smell of dung or smoke would trigger a test with a -1 to its guts for each character with dung on it within 6" & a -1 for each smoke maker within the same, by the time it failed the test there was 4 smoke makers, so the guts test was at -4, the test works like any other, by rolling a D10 & adding it to the stat been tested against needing a score of 10 or more to pass.
I hope that helps you guys understand how things worked as I don't like to explain things as they'er  happening as for me it take from the movie :)
As always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to be a movie critic your commend will be welcomed :)

18 comments:

  1. Another very enjoyable episode, Frank. I love how plucky Grace is - a true heroine! Nice camerawork by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bryan, Yep she the all action type alright :) I'll pass that on to the camera crew.

      Delete
  2. A great creative romp Frank, the cinematography was spot on in this production

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed it, yep it all came together nicely this time round :)

      Delete
  3. Nice movie!

    I enjoyed the peek behind the scenes, too, on how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, I thought a little insight into how it was played out would be handy for you guys :)

      Delete
  4. That was brilliant Frank! I'm with Fitz, the rules breakdown and thought process behind the episode.
    I'll tell you what I really like is your creative dialogue from what happens on the tabletop - I can really picture the decisions being made and dice being rolled through your words 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, As I've said before my gaming fix with other people these days are RPG's which I thing has given me a better understanding for doing these posts.
      What I mean by that is that I now look at AAR's more from an RPG point of view then from battle report one.
      I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  5. Another vey intriguing scenario and a very enjoyable read.
    The "behind the scenes" bit was very welcome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I glad you enjoyed it :) yes I think the behind the scenes helps to give people a better understanding of what happened & why.

      Delete
  6. Hi Frank, another intriguing story developing well. Lots to like apart from the random dice appearing in one shot, but we'll let that pass this time.
    Just a question on the mat, is that random bits of teddy bear fur you are using to represent long grass, I think it works well.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, well after what you told me about how you dealt with your own dice in the shot problem or at least the continuity girl part of if I thought I might give it a try myself :)

      The stuff I use for the long grass is something I picked up in a model shop, it came in a rectangular mat which I just cut into different shapes, which is what I think model railway guys do with it.

      Delete
    2. You be careful or Mrs Frank will be after you. :)

      Delete
    3. Luckily for me she has no interest in N&D Studios John, that is apart from spending all the money the studio makes :)

      Delete
  7. Great story developing here, Frank. Really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, I'm really happy to hear that :)

      Delete
  8. Great episode Frank, I'm just sorry I only caught a late showing - I'll hopefully catch the sequel as soon as it's released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, better late then never & its all money in the coffers :)

      Delete

Followers