Saturday 31 August 2019

Movie Tone News August 2019

Welcome to this months news & its a bit of a strange one I think as while I've not done much hobby wise I have a bit to waffle about, you've been warned :)

So where to start ? I guess out of the shoebox & on to the breadboard is as good a place as any, now as most of you know I've built a couple of what I call sets in a shoebox & I've even started work on a 3rd one, but what will be news to you guys will be what I'm calling a set on a breadboard.
The breadboard size 3"x2" apox

This is the first one & as you can see I filled in the underside using insulation form, this stiffens the board up & also allows you to cut into the board if required. 
Now these are a bit of a u-turn for me as for a long time I tried to make the stuff I did be flexible & that was important for me when starting up N&D as I didn't have much stuff & I use to make a lot of movies but over time things change, now days I don't make as many movie's but I want to try & up the standard of those I do make, so its a trade off between quality & flexibility.
Unlike the one above I didn't fill the underside in completely as I want to have a waterfront, so this one will be used with the form side up which I then covered using formcard
Let me explain what that means, most games are played out on a gaming-mat/board with the terrain placed on it, this gives great flexibility as things can be changed around from game to game, then you have what is called modular tables, these give you better quality but no real flexibility but as I don't play many games these days that's not a problem & I still always have the gaming-mat way.

The parts not cobbledstoned will be where the buildings will be.
I've already completed my first breadboard set which I hit upon in last months news but didn't give much away but will be seen in the second next episode of the HEX campaign, now why a breadboard & not just a piece of MDF Frank ? good question, there are a couple of reasons for this that I'll explain at another time.
My first go at brick work.

Right the the pictures you seen of these are from both sets at different times but the basic starting points are the same as to how I do these, also a first for me is the use of formcard as before this for building I always used cork-tiles which I find to be more robust but are not great for getting detail on which formcard is great for, but as these building will be made into the set the robustness will not be a problem (I hope).

Outsourcing, another first as I've decided to outsource the costume & make-up department (fancy that Ivor :) as its the part of the hobby I find the least interesting tbh & with so much other stuff to be done I know I'll just never get through the lead pile, so the first set of stars have been sent off & I'll do a post upon their return.

Finds in the petstore or just going nuts ? I picked up these in the petstore, their coconuts shells & I think will make nice huts, I also came across these wicker things that I think could also be turned into some kind of huts with maybe a moss type covering, if any of you guys have any ideas as to what to cover them with please let my know in the comments.
I've got a lovely bunch of coco huts :)

In other news A invite form a Vampire, sounds like a movie title doesn't it ? now in the last post I was shocked & a bit bemused to find in the comments an invite to become a Vampire, when looking into this I found that it was on a couple of posts & not only that but was also on a lot of you guys blogs, now while I'm sure been a Vampire is wonderful I'm having way to much fun been a Werewolf to take up the invite but if any of you guys did take up the offer I'd be interested to know how your getting on with it.
Mrs O D & me in our wolf forms :)

Well that it for this months news so its a blood sucking goodnight from him & a howling goodnight from him :) as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed.

19 comments:

  1. Great work on your boards Frank, I guessed you ment feet and not inches by the other items around the board, unless you''ve miniaturised all them as well which would be super impressive.
    With you wicker hut, I would suggest some air drying clay would look effective, and can be bought in terracotta colour to save painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, oops yes indeed I meant feet, I have some air drying clay so thanks for the input :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very interested to see how your ideas develop, Frank. You're certainly off to a good start. Whilst I agree that werewolves are cool (I own so many of them!) but vampires are so, so cooler. As Vampirella's number one fan of course I was going to say that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bryan, I've a bit of an advantage on you there as I already know how the first one has turned out & as for vampires well I've always had a feeling that you're already one & are happily in league with the lovely Vampirella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Welcome aboard the SS Commision Painter, my name is Ivor and I'll be your captain 🤣
    Looking good there Frank, love that I'm seeing a waterfront board under construction.
    I'm with you on the werewolf (I've actually been watching the old classic 'The Wolfman Meets Frankenstein' with Lon Chaney Jr. and Bela Lugosi on my tablet in bed before falling asleep the last several nights!) - and those two models look fantastic.
    Send me an email - ivorevans13@yahoo.com - I'd love to help build something for you for a set/terrain piece in an upcoming movie or chapter 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, I fear captain that your taking me on a cruise that I may never return from given my dislike of painting models ;)
      I've not seen any of those movies in years but your right they are classics, as for the two werewolf models I painted them up a long time back along with a werebear.

      That's a very kind offer Ivor & one I'll take you up on, email is sent :)

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of that sort of breadboard before, with the lip. Looks like a good base for terrain modules.

    I'll look forward to your final sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T Fitz, one is already finished so the wait to see that one won't be to long, the waterfront however will be a long wait I fear.

      Delete
  7. This is looking very good, Frank. I love those coco-huts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Martin, Yep when I seen them I thought they'll work & at only somewhere around 2.50 euro's a piece they weren't going to break the budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks interesting. I look forward to see how the board turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Joakim, in that case you'd better stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have very large loaves of bread if you need a 3'x2' board to cut them on. I think its a great idea for the sort of small game you do. I've thought about using the artists oil canvases to do a similar thing, light weight and don't take up a lot of space.
    There was a guy from Germany doing small boards of the size you're doing, his name was Grim or Grimm, its quite a few years ago but well worth looking for.
    I'm not sure I think you should do anything with the basket huts apart from a bit of shadeing washing etc, they look great to me, do you know what they are sold as? They would work well as an African village with some slightly eccentric inhabitants. I bought some chaps with blow pipies and big masks that would fit in very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, come to Ireland where the welcome is as big as our loaves of bread :) these board are what they use to carry the bread into the shops on, so many loaves to one board :)

      I think I know the guy your taking about mate as I went back through the pulp pages on LAF to the early days to get 45 adventure AAR's.

      Interesting you should say that mate as I'm on two minds as to if I should use them as they are but a wash won't be any harm, I don't know what their called but I did cut some tags off them, so I'll have a look in the next day or two when I'm not drunk (which I am now :) & I'll email you about them.

      Delete
  12. I like the way you're thinking and it'll b interesting to see some end result.
    I've seen quite a few 2' x2' boards where all the action for a single game takes place (I always wondered why they din;t make them modular, rather than unique pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I guess its a case of horses for courses as in if you're playing a lot of games then even with 2x2 boards you need to be able to change them around, one of the reasons for me going down this route is I don't tend to play to many games these days.

      Delete
  13. Looks good. I like the Coconut shell huts. Very fitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, they do look the part me thinks :)

      Delete

Followers