Monday 23 December 2019

Movie Tone News December 2019

Good evening & well come to this month's news, to say hobby time & blog out put are at an all time low would be a bit of an understatement, there are a couple of different reasons for this which I won't go into.
Work had started on a second breadboard set & I had planed for my second breadboard set to be a part of a town on a river but to do it the way I'd like would be a huge amount of work & indeed I've already invested a lot of time to get the little bit of it that I've done so far.
Above is a little side wall of a building, while below we have what would have been one of the buildings at the back of the board, which really is nothing more then a front & two parts of the sides walls.
Now I've got to say I was very happy with how these were turning out but, well there's always a but :) they just take so much time to do.
So with hobby time now   been at a premium. I've decided I instead start work on some building that I got for last Christmas as a present from the good wife.
These are from Sarissa Precision & I must say are a joy to put together & have plenty of detail, my aim is to get them all made up & painted to usable level & then over time add things like weathering & stuff.
While I don't tend to use the inside of buildings I do like the fact that these do come apart & that models could be placed inside them, so you could place a model at a window that could be shooting out, another big advantage to this is that it allows you to change the buildings around by making them different heights.
Or even mix them around to change the look of them
My only disappointments with these buildings & there small ones is that 1 there very uniform, 2 some of them have only one entrance,
As you can see in the picture above  the building on the left has no door at the back & 3 none of them have access to the roof.
Now while these buildings aren't crazy money filling up a table with them would still set you back a lot but there are things you can do to cut down on the amount of them you use as luckily for us cities are not just made up of buildings.
 Adding something like a little square will help cover some of the table & will also add to game play, another idea could be a vacant lot.
Using a little building section like the one in the  second picture of this post can help make a deadend alley while also given the impression that there are more buildings then there actually are, things like back yards of a parking lot would also help to give more coverage.
Over Christmas which will give me sometime off I hope to be able to get these buildings wrapped up or at least to a stage were their usable & get a board or two done to go with them.

So whats the plans for N&P going forward you might wonder ? well there are plans aplenty which I'll hopefully cover in the next movie tone news, but safe to say there will be some changes to what I do as there are a lot of avenues I want to explore a little taste for which was giving in the July's news. 

Well that's it for this months news, so its a Marry Christmas from me,
                                   
& a Merry Christmas from him :) 
As always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed.  



10 comments:

  1. Great versatility to your buildings Frank, as a fill in space you could also have a pile of rubble from a demolished building, or a building site section where they're building a new structure.
    Hope you have a great Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, as someone who works on a building site do I really want to come home & game on one ? LOL
      Enjoy your Xmas.

      Delete
  2. You blog output may have been a bit slender recently but you've been a very busy chap. The Sarissa buildings are a bit expensive for a whole boardful, but I do like the way you're thinking on things other than buildings - A construction site maybe or a parking lot plus maybe a demolished building (just lots of rubble in a roughly rectangular area, but fenced off ?)

    Have a great Xmas too Frank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, not as busy as I'd have liked, the board & the couple of parts that I built myself have been done for some months now, so all I've done recently is the couple of Sarissa buildings.
      Enjoy your Xmas.

      Delete
  3. These look great. Have a good Christmas mate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the look of the buildings and wishing you a very Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting you are going this route Frank, Sarrissa were doing a Black Friday sale and I nearly bought 6 of these buildings but decided I could make them instead. Well that was a bad idea, I have 2 buildings done that I don't particularly like the style of and I'm sure I should have gone the Sarrissa route.
    You're right that they look a bit samey but I looked at lots of brownstone house pictures and they are samey in reality.

    Looking forward to seeing what you will do with these. I'm still thinking of 1930 ish detectives but not getting very far with it.

    Your home made building walls look brilliant, are you scribing the detail into high density polystyrene? I thought of that but decided I'm not quite that insane. Well maybe not.

    Sorry to hear time is a problem and hope it improves for you in the New Year.

    Happy Christmas to you and your good lady. :)
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I think the set you were looking at is the one I have, like most things its +&- buy them & its quick with good detail but your tied to certain footprints & designs, build your own & run the risk of them not turning out as you want, plus the time factor, but you also get the freedom to do things as you like.

      Yep I scribe the detail hence the time factor but its only on form-card , so it looks as if I am a little bit more insane then you are mate but only a little lol

      Hopefully the time thing will improve in the Newyear but it will still be short of what it once was :(

      Enjoy your Xmas, you & Mrs V

      Delete

Followers