Sunday 27 September 2020

The Jungle Blade Mystery Act 1

                              Nickel & Dime Productions, proudly presents Radio Days
               Starring Donny Wayne as Karl Timperman & Mary Coyne as Easther Leballe
          If you like tails of daring deeds & high trills go somewhere else, if not then stay tuned.  

Karl Timperman stirred, as the ringing sound came again he reached out switched on the bedside lamp & looked at his watch, which showed the time was 6:24 am. Who would be phoning at this hour of the morning he though as he got out of bed & headed for the living-room to answer the phone.
Karl "Karl Timperman"
Woman's voice "Karl its Esther Labelle, something awful has happened, I was wonder if you be so good as to come over to the house"
Karl could hear the anxiety in her voice.  Karl" Do you want to tell what's wrong Esther"
Esther "I'd prefer not to say over the phone, but its very urgent could you come at once"
Karl "I just have a quick shower & shave & I'll be on my way"
Esther" Thanks Karl" then a click as she hung up.

Just over half an hour later.
Esther "Karl thanks for coming over so quickly"
Karl "No problem Esther, now do you want to tell me what the problem is ?"
Esther "Oh  Karl I've been so foolish, as you know I'm a Patron of the museum & do a lot of charity work for them"
Karl" Yes I'm aware of that, go on"
Esther "Well last night I held a charity event here to raise some funds for the museum & to add some interest to the event I foolishly brought some items from the museum over here & now one of them is missing"
Karl "Isn't this a mater for the police"
Esther with tear's forming in her eye's " Karl I can't go to the police, you see(pause) you see I took the items without permission, as their not on display at the moment I thought no one would notice them gone & I would have brought them back today, oh Karl what am I going to do"
Karl feeling sorry for her & known that her heart was in the right place even if what she done had indeed been foolish "Okay Esther I'll do what I can to help, what is the piece that missing"

Esther "It's a small jewel encrusted blade that was found at a archaeology site in a jungle in Peru"
Karl " I'll need a list of all the people that were here last night & did you haven to notice did anyone seem to show a larger amount of interest in the piece then what you would have though normal"
Esther "Well now that you mention it, Sharina Benavides did seem to show a peculiar interest in it"
Karl " Sharina Benavides as in the politician"
Esther "Yes, but surely she wouldn't have taken it"
Karl " I'd guess you would you'd say that of all of your guests Esther, but the fact is that its gone & we've got to start some place, now go & get me that list"

While Esther was getting the list Karl gave the room a quick once over but found nothing of help, when she returned Esther hand the list to Karl & then set down while he want over it.
Karl"Is this everyone that was here last night & by that I mean the staff as well"
Esther" No that's just the guest list, I would need to get in touch with the agency to get the names of the extra staff"
Karl" Is any of your own staff that was here last night here now"
As it turned out two of them were, but neither of them could shine any light on the matter.
With the time now coming up to 8 am, Karl phone the home of Sharina Benavides, only to be told that she had just left for a meeting at the theatre.

As the theatre was only a few blocks away Karl decided they'd walk, as it would give him some time to think of the best way to approach Sharina Benavides on the subject of the missing blade, along the way they ran into Noah King a history teacher that Esther knew & after a brief chit chat headed on to the theatre, only to find when they got there that it was locked up, wherever Sharina Benavides had gone for her meeting it wasn't here.

Tune in next week when you will here Esther ask  "What now ?"  

Designer's note. In last months news I cover the basic set up of the characters, this time I want to add a bit about Larger then Life the Director's cut, now like I've said before this game is like no other Two Hour Gaming game that I know of & while its old it really is imho better suited to their new battle board way of playing.

So what I'll cover here is how it sets up, after making up your character & if you want any supporting cast, you go about setting up a crime/treasure hunt or what they call the opening scene, this is all done by rolling on different tables, in this case something had gone missing & the last person who had it was a Patron, from here on you decide what that object was & flesh out the person if you want.

For me that's the joy of the game as I like to make up a story which is what this game is all about, so if making up a story is not your thing then its not for you, so I had something missing & a Patron.
I decided the Patron would be a Petron of a museum & that the missing object would be a knife found in South America.
In the open scene you also find out how many clues you need to solve before you get to the finial scene & who the big bad is, now I don't want to give anything away here, but I will tell you that after rolling for the type of big bad I didn't flesh him out, as even I want a surprise :)

Now here is were the game is great & bad at the same time, after doing a few more things like the travel scene & a few other thing it was time to set up the table for a game, well talk about a none event but, well there's always a but right. 
The object of the game was to cross the table which had one PEF (Possible enemy force) get to the target building, enter have a defining moment (another possible PEF ) & question a person of interest, in this case Sharina Benavides.

So after spending time setting up the table, I came across a PEF who was no threat a defining moment that due to dice rolls didn't happen & a person of interest who turned out not to be there :( on the plus side this didn't count as me not finding a clue, a failure in finding clues equal to your Rep means games over, which means the hero didn't save the day & get the girl, something I really like.

Why play a game that's such an anti climax ? I here you ask, well here's the good bit, as I've said before its all about the story (I hope your still with me John) so the challenge is to make the game fit the story, simple as :)

I hope that has given you guys an insight into Larger then Life the directors cut & why I've gone about doing it in this manner, I'll cover more in other posts as for now I don't want to give anything away.      

As always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to comment it would be welcomed :) 

10 comments:

  1. Great opening radio broadcast Frank, reminds me off the old black and white detective movies so far, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion, and the opening has given enough to peak the interest but not nearly enough to give the game away ( something that can be clearly lacking in modern crime dramas)
    Thank's for the insights on how the system works as well, makes it easier to understand how you came about with the story so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, that's exactly the kind of mood I'm aiming for & to coin the phase they don't make them like they use to.

      I really want to give an insight into this game because it really is so different & I believe it could work great in conjunction with other game, but I'll cover those thoughts at a later date.

      Delete
  2. Nice write up Frank! Like Dave mentioned, can almost hear it through the 'ol radio 😀 something I absolutely love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, if that's how it came across then I'm doing something right :)

      Delete
  3. As I read through the story, I found myself imagining the character figures you would be moving around on the table. I like the tale a lot and even if dice-propelled, it does make for interesting situations.
    Looking forward to the next broadcast !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, letting the dice help create the story makes it more interesting, well at least for me :)
      The next one will be out on Sunday :)

      Delete
  4. If you like tails of daring deeds & high trills go somewhere else, if not then stay tuned.


    Sorry Frank I switched off the radio at that point, give me tales of deering do any day. ;)

    Ok I was just slightly interested or maybe intrigued is the word and so I switched the radio back on and caught the end of the programme. What - no flickering pictures, no mad chases through the streets of Chicago, no femme fatale in a low cut ballgown, what is happening over at Nickle and Dime Studios. :)

    This looks very promising, you are fleshing out the storyline well, I can see this working as an ongoing story, it's what solo games can be all about. You only have yourself to please and so a game can be just about a small incident that normally with an opponent you would gloss over to get to the fight scene.
    You know one of my favourite game series/storys is Stephen Gilberts, and I've forgotten the name of his character. There was some part of it that was an obvious game but most of it was the build up of the story, probably in a similar manner to what you're doing.
    Looking forward to the next episode, even if it's a radio play but I do miss the ballgowns:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Thanks John, this is something I'd planed to do even before I hit the black hole & in fact this post was done before that, but at the moment when I'm very slowly getting back in to doing things this game is perfect as I can just sit down at the computer & play it out with no need for setting anything up.

      Carlotta I think was the characters name that you can't think of & if I'm not mistaken it was called Carlotta Way, yep it was a fine bit of story telling.

      Ps Like you should never judge a book by its cover, you should never judge a Radio show by its intro, as for the ballgowns well I know you got a good imagination mate :)

      Delete
    2. I knew it was Carlotta all along, just checking to see if your memory was as bad as mine;)

      You must have more active brain cells because your memory isn't as bad as mine :(

      Delete
    3. But what if I'm wrong John ? where would that leave us both ? lol

      Delete

Followers