Saturday 12 February 2022

Behind the scenery, Native Village

 Welcome to another behind the scenery, it's another shoebox set, that will be a native village.

Now before I go any further I want to point out that I've not done any art painting since I was in school and as you can see from the picture below it shows πŸ˜‚

Back drops make a big difference & are something I'm going to have to up my game on, but back to what I'm trying to do here. 
The picture below looks a bit better but still a long way off what I want. 


By now I was getting a feel for what I was trying to do, with the picture below more like what I was looking for. As you can see below it's given the appearance that it a village in a clearance.
I now got rid of the sheet of paper I'd used in the above pictures for a backdrop & instead painted the back & part of the two sides of the box, as seen in the picture below.
Below is a picture of the box with the painting done, I'm not sure yet if I'll need to lighting it up a bit, as I think it is given more of a night time feel, anyway a little tip for you, fit your ground piece before painting.
I don't feel that the bottom of the box is strong enough to just use so I'm putting in some form to strengthen, but you could use other stuff. 
With the form dry fitted I used some no more nails to stick it with.
I also put some on the edges of the form to stick it to 3 of the sides of the box, hence why you should do this before painting, & as I was using 2 pieces I stuck some skewers to help make the joint stronger. I should add that in the pictures above I was just using a piece of grass covered paper just to get the feel for what I was doing.  For the huts I use Coconut shells that I picked up in a petshop a while back & added a few little details.
 
After given the form a dark brown paint I then textured it with different sands & gravel, using finer stuff for what will be the clearing & pathway leading off into the jungle. 
Next I done some flocking, these areas will be what I hope when I add the foliage will help blend the whole thing together. 
So with the foliage done how did it all turn out ? Well I'll let you guys be the judge of that.






A fun little build & cheap to do, so even if it was never used the value in hobby time to cost makes this well worth it. But hopefully you guys will be seen it in an up coming production 😊

That's it for this post, as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment, it would be welcomed.

14 comments:

  1. I think your backdrop works really well Frank, and if it's under the jungle canopy would be quite dark, so the colours work, also makes the village stand out more. Very effective all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I was happy enough with the end result πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. Mate, it's absolutely mad that I'm currently editing a post right now with some Congo native porter models πŸ˜‚
    Great stuff on the pet store coconuts, they look the business, look forward to seeing them on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, it's funny the things like that happen, it the same with me as I just happened to be painting up my Easher gang when Dave put up Fembuary πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Especially the closeups, starting with the view with the firepit and the rest from there on to the end of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, the odd thing about these sets is that it's nearly always for close ups, so a lot of the work goes unseen 😒🀣

      Delete
  4. That looks really good Frank. I need to make some sort of photo setup area. I may try something like this as a side project. Might make taking photos outside easier as it can be moved around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, yep something like it would work well for taking pictures outside πŸ™‚

      Delete
  5. That;s a phot-box with a difference ! It's a great idea and something I'd never have thought of. The colour look great and somthing I reckon would be easy to do, especially given my complete lack of artistry.
    THe added foliage and figures bring the whole scen to life and one forgets aboabout the backdrop, though it's essential to the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, your spot on there, while the backdrop is there it's not what draws the eye, which is how I would guess is how it's meant to work πŸ™‚

      Delete
  6. Looks good, sets the scene in so many ways. More inspiration to get me up off my backside and paint/make/play. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Douglas, only to happy to help & look forward to seeing what you come up with, once that is you get off said backside πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. This looks good Frank and is ideal for the sort of film/novel storylines you've been putting together. I was wondering how you stored them, you must have a few by now and they take up a reasonable amount of space.
    I think I mentioned my foray into stopmotion and the figures I've been using are 6" high so the sets I've created had to be knock down ones or I couldn't keep them.
    Good to see you back posting.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, glad to here you're pushing on with the stop motion stuff, oddly enough I don't have that many & as they're only shoeboxs, they can be all stacked on top of each other so not really a problem with storage πŸ™‚

      Delete

Followers