Saturday 26 May 2018

Movie Tone News May2018

Welcome to this months news, it an odd thing that no matter what I get done there always seems to be stuff I need to do, this can lead to a hold up in finishing things off, like the last chapter of Perilous Island, when I read the script & noticed that 6 little boats where need I nearly had a fit & asked the script writers why put in boats the studio's didn't have ?
When they pointed out that the characters were on an island that was blowing its self apart & would need someway of escaping, so it was either the little boats or a U boat I gave in & put the prop guys to work.
And you though your tree's looked cheap John ;)
Not great but this is Nickel & Dime studio's after all but they do float :) & needless to say while the boats where been made up other movies had to be made, well the studio has to keep bring in money after all, now tbh I should have gone with one offs but started the the Outer Worlds Investigations which also need to be finished up busy busy.

All of this while also getting The Heart Stone Of Africa back on track, oh for the simple life, anyway to add to all this I decided that it's about time I got around to building stuff for sets that will be used when I need to make movies set in towns of cities

This is all WIP & I will need to make buildings & things like a little park, but as is always my way I want to get as much use as I can so these are made up & then I'll used them for sitting buildings on.






I think the pictures give you the idea so I'll leave it at that, moving away from town's & cities I picked up this little guy

& I didn't even have to paint him win win :) talking of painting I've believe it or not being doing a lot of painting lately, well a lot be my standards.
Looks like someone will be going on an expedition, is that young Connie & Taylor I see in there ? if you follow along here then you'll know that this month seen a return of The Heart Stone of Africa, now I've painted more then whats in the picture above but you don't need to see those yet :)

It seems like forever since I played a game & that's something I need to fix, I've the rulebook for Congo since Christmas that I want to try & I also want to give two hour wargaming a go.

That's it for this months news, so its a good night from me & a good night from him :) as always my thanks for dropping in & if you'd care to leave a comment it would be welcomed.

17 comments:

  1. "Why put in boats that the studio didn't have?" That literally had me laughing out loud!! Brilliant 😂
    Great looking town so far Frank - can't to the next chapters on the island and in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ivor, glad you got a giggle mate :) I think the town will look a lot different in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I surprised the Studio didn't suggest rafts for the great escape, boats seemjust to be an extravagance imho.
    I pity your explorers - that snake looks immense (and I thought mine were big!)
    Town looks usable, if a bit bare, but will no doubt be filled with extras and props (given that they have a budget for such).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joe, now why didn't I think of rafts :) well these type of snakes can grow up to 30ft in real live so I think it scales well, the town was only set up to show how the bases work, when I get around to doing it for real most of the buildings will be different from those used here & needless to say there will be added eye candy, budget permitting that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frank that's a bit of an oversight between the script writer and the props department ;) glad they got it sorted out.

    The bases are a good idea, did you use hardboard? I fancy doing a city block set up, and thought if the table was black to represent tarmac using something like your bases would work well. The only issue is how to put road markings down without making it a fixed set up. Any thoughts?
    The snake is a good find and will come in useful for any African game.
    2 Hour wargames do a free supliment to their main free rules, that is set in either Africa or south America that may be useful, but I can't remember what they call it, I think it has a picture of a dinosaur on the cover. Sorry that's not m much help, and I don't have it but thought you could test drive it for me.
    Alternatively I'd be interested in your thoughts on Congo.

    By the way I don't think my trees look cheap, is just that they are cheap. ;) There a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Frank, they're not free, it was these I was thinking of http://www.twohourwargames.com/chresu.html

      Adventures in the lost lands $5. As I said I've not used them but they sound interesting.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. You guys should take a look at how I built my Urban terrain boards:
      http://zabadakszombieworld.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/urban-terrain-boards-part-one.html
      and the following week's post too.
      I do a further one on a car park:
      http://zabadakszombieworld.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/more-urban-terrain.html
      and some more info here
      http://zabadakszombieworld.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/bored-with-boards.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks Joe, I will indeed take a look,John I replied to your your post but forgot to hit the reply button first so that reply is below.

      Delete
    4. Hi Joe, I had a look & you done a very detailed post on how you done it all with some interesting ideas, while your system has flexible which is always good, what I'm after here is even more flexible, not only in the lay out but also in time frame.

      By having the bases free standing I can have the roads as dirthroads, cobblestone, tarmac like yours or anything else I need, so the same bases work in Victorian London, modern day New York or WWII Berlin, I hope that explains things & is something I should have had in the post above, well this is a low budget studio after all :)

      Delete
  6. I'm curious about the material used for the city bases, too.

    And also laughed at the line about the boats. ha ha

    The prop department, as well as the casting/costuming departments, not to mention the animal wranglers, seem to be working hard to keep up with those wacky scriptwriters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, the plastic is I think stuff that is used for signs, it had a hard glossy finish on one side but the other side was dull & a bit softer so easier to scribe,I had a link to the place I got it on my old computer but that's gone & like I said it was a couple of years ago that I got it, but I'll see if I can did it up to give you guys a better idea of what it is.

      Yes everyone here is been kept busy :)

      Delete
    2. Here a link to where I got the plastic sheets Fitz, it's gone up in price but might be cheaper where you are, but it will let you know what to look for :)

      https://www.365plastics.ie/5mm-foam-pvc-sheet-2440mm-x-1220mm-grey.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info! Now that I know what the material is I can look for it if I want some.

      I was thinking something similar might be done with the foam rubber sheets they sell in craft stores.

      Delete
  7. Thanks John, the bases are plastic that I bought in a 8x4 sheet some years back for a job in the house, so long story short their recycled :)
    I hadn't though as far ahead as road-markings tbh but now that you ask one answer might be to use a tape that I use, its used by tailors & is like a masking tape but only about a quarter of an inch wide & its cheap enough that it could be disposable;eg set up play out your game when finished remove the tape, rinse & repeat as you you go.

    Congo I've read the rules for a couple of times & like them but the prof of the pudding :) Michael over on Victorian Warfare plays it solo as says it works well with minimum rule changes.

    Thanks for the link mate & I'm sure the budget could afford the 5 bucks, or is this the start of some plan to bankrupt the studios ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool post Frank - the eye candy of the photo's offsets the angst of the text.
    "no matter what I get done there always seems to be stuff I need to do"..... I feel your pain buddy! I must say though, that you're doing a great job of tackling the deficiencies of the props department :-)
    The boats are a good addition, and far superior to the "cut to narrative 'and they took off in some boats they found' " and the multi purpose urban setting is looking good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and just wait until you see what I literally found in a skip yesterday! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gre,I would think that we're all in the same boat when it comes to what we've got done & still need to do :)

      I did warn you that the road you were taking would lead to skips lol but haven't said all that I can't wait to see what you found & keep an eye on charity shops while your out they can have some gems as well & your doing a good deed if you buy from them so win win :)

      Delete

Followers